• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Off the books advice - Keeping an ex-client sweet

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off the books advice - Keeping an ex-client sweet

Bit of a WWYD question

Last year worked on a gig which I got really friendly with the people invlvoed and made quite a name for myself with those in high places, and as such got some repeat business and lots of extensions.

They have come back to me "informally" as they are having problems (surpsied they went 9 months without asking for help but thats another story), still quite friendly with most of the project team and want to keep the Execuitive Manager sweet as he is a great contact to have for future work. I bled them dry last time so suspect there is no budget for this, so anytihng would just be free advice in the hope of getting some paid work in return at a later date, I have moved everything so they are using their company email address for contact rather than Linkedin or Facebook and have stated that my hands are tied with liability insurance etc. in case something goes bang.

How would you approach some ad-hoc work and keep the realtionship but not open yourself up
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

This may not be the correct phrase, but it just sounds like you need some kind of engagement contract. Just something to cover the liability question, the whose who etc. That's how I've seen it work in consultancy land anyway, with the more sporadic customers who just want a hand here and there.

Then, just be absolutely clear on what each piece of individual work (billing period) entails - e-mail should suffice, but you could formalise a quote too.

Either way, personally, I'd be trying very hard to make it happen. I've been doing a bit of it myself and it (at least feels) like these are baby steps towards being seen as a consultant, rather than a contractor.

Comment

Don't worry your little head about such matters. Things are in hand but my assumptions seem to be correct....
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        Bit of a WWYD question

Last year worked on a gig which I got really friendly with the people invlvoed and made quite a name for myself with those in high places, and as such got some repeat business and lots of extensions.

They have come back to me "informally" as they are having problems (surpsied they went 9 months without asking for help but thats another story), still quite friendly with most of the project team and want to keep the Execuitive Manager sweet as he is a great contact to have for future work. I bled them dry last time so suspect there is no budget for this, so anytihng would just be free advice in the hope of getting some paid work in return at a later date, I have moved everything so they are using their company email address for contact rather than Linkedin or Facebook and have stated that my hands are tied with liability insurance etc. in case something goes bang.

How would you approach some ad-hoc work and keep the realtionship but not open yourself up
        Find yourself some wording around 'pre-sales' contracts and use that. Consultancies, sw houses and COTS package sellers do this all the time.

Comment

It really depends how drastic the free advice is I guess.

What do they actually need?

If it's a "do you have any suggestions of things we could try", I'd be tempted to give them a few ideas, with a nice caveat around "no responsibility for this" etc.

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
            Find yourself some wording around 'pre-sales' contracts and use that. Consultancies, sw houses and COTS package sellers do this all the time.
            ^This.

Life is too short to worry about "rules".

Good luck with the ad-hoc and the contract that shall follow !

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
              +1

Get something in writing just to cover the insurance aspect.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
              X