PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Walks to Work

Martin Scroatman
11th June 2015, 13:09
I've had a few in my time.

Along the South Bank, across the Tyne Bridge, down Penner Way in Havant but my current walk from the rail station takes me down a thoroughfare called Eden Vale Way and it reminds me of those old dairy adverts from the 70s that always began "Down at Eden Vale..."

...and we would catch up with the antics of the panoply of colourful characters who conducted their business down in Eden Vale; there was old Ned who was forever scolding his daughter for feeding the cream to the cat "that there cream's too good for that mangy moggy!" and there were the farm workers who would "wend their way down old Eden Vale Way after a hard day making hay".

Indeed, these are the thoughts that fill my head as I too wend my weary way home down Old Eden Vale Way....

What's yours like?

SimonMac
11th June 2015, 13:10
I've had a few in my time.

Along the South Bank, across the Tyne Bridge, down Penner Way in Havant but my current walk from the rail station takes me down a thoroughfare called Eden Vale Way and it reminds me of those old dairy adverts from the 70s that always began "Down at Eden Vale..." and we would catch up with the antics of the panoply of colourful characters who conducted their business down in Eden Vale; there was old Ned who was forever scolding his daughter for feeding the cream to the cat "that there cream's too good for that mangy moggy!" and there were the farm workers who would "wend their way down old Eden Vale Way after a hard day making hay".

Indeed, these are the thoughts that fill my head as I too wend my weary way home down Old Eden Vale Way....

What's yours like?

The shortest route possible from car to desk

HTH BIDI

*cavet for Fridays via the sausage buttie shop

BrilloPad
11th June 2015, 13:19
Along THE South Bank - Waterloo to the Strand

TheFaQQer
11th June 2015, 13:55
Up the stairs to the study.

MercladUK
11th June 2015, 13:59
On a nice day, and when I am not working from sofa, I get off at Green Park and walk across st james park via Buckingham palace, through to Westminster.

Beautiful....

I just need to test it
11th June 2015, 14:00
Down the stairs to the study.

My favourite was through York, past the railway museum, through the gardens by the convent ruins, over the bridge, skirting the city centre, into the park.

Oddly it usually chucked it down on the way home though, so I'd get the bus.

EDIT: I didn't work in the park. Just drank there.

Gumbo Robot
11th June 2015, 14:00
On a nice day, and when I am not working from sofa, I get off at Green Park and walk across st james park via Buckingham palace, through to Westminster.

Beautiful....

That's a long way from Luton!

MarillionFan
11th June 2015, 14:05
Up the stairs to the study.

Downstairs to the study. :happy

PurpleGorilla
11th June 2015, 14:39
From my Rolls Royce to my Gulfstream... [emoji574]️

vetran
11th June 2015, 14:50
downstairs, through the kitchen then the garden to the Manshack!!

Support Monkey
11th June 2015, 14:53
from bishops road car park past the old Lido swimming pool then through the grounds of Peterborough Cathedral into the city centre, I love a city center early in the morning before it gets filled with people

GlenW
11th June 2015, 14:54
My last few contracts have been in Leeds, South Shields, Newburn, Benton, Stockton on Tees and Houghton le Spring. Apart from Leeds, they are candidates for where God will stick the tube when he decides to give the world an enema. So, I rarely walked anywhere and the best route was the quickest one out of there.

At least now I get to WFH a couple of days a week so the walk from the kitchen after breakfast to my office via the bog for a dump isn't too bad.

Martin Scroatman
11th June 2015, 14:59
My last few contracts have been in Leeds, South Shields, Newburn, Benton, Stockton on Tees and Houghton le Spring. Apart from Leeds, they are candidates for where God will stick the tube when he decides to give the world an enema. So, I rarely walked anywhere and the best route was the quickest one out of there.

At least now I get to WFH a couple of days a week so the walk from the kitchen after breakfast to my office via the bog for a dump isn't too bad.

I used to cycle from the City Centre to Wylam via Scotswood Road than along the cycle path through Newburn & on to Wylam.

Used to be quite a hairy ride at night and I met some rather unsavoury characters along my way - particularly at the Scotswood Road end.

alreadypacked
11th June 2015, 15:00
Not a walk as such.
Canary Wharf on Thames Clipper to Blackfriers.
Walk up the gangplank to the office.

GlenW
11th June 2015, 15:01
I used to cycle from the City Centre to Wylam via Scotswood Road than along the cycle path through Newburn & on to Wylam.

Used to be quite a hairy ride at night and I met some rather unsavoury characters along my way - particularly at the Scotswood Road end.
At least you'd get a pint or two in the Boat House when you got to Wylam.

Bacchus
11th June 2015, 15:03
Along THE South Bank - Waterloo to the Strand

Loved this one for the last couple of years-Waterloo to Cheapside, along South Bank to Tate Modern, over the Millenium Bridge and up through St Pauls.

Before that I had a gig in Norfolk, stayed in the motorhome a couple of miles away, and loved walking past the fields in the spring watching the spuds sprouting, the Hares boxing, and the bunnies making more bunnies. Every morning was like being in the Darling Buds of May (if Bates had set it in Norfolk of course...)

Jubber
11th June 2015, 19:38
Not a walk as such.
Canary Wharf on Thames Clipper to Blackfriers.
Walk up the gangplank to the office.

:spel Blackfriars - what they doing? Cooking chips?

Across London Bridge heading north very early on a summer's morning with the sun rising between the towers of Tower Bridge.

darmstadt
11th June 2015, 19:52
From the office to the toilet knowing that I'm getting paid for at least the next half hour :ohwell

Pogle
12th June 2015, 09:21
Greenwich to Canary Wharf via the foot tunnel.
I walk past the Cutty Sark, see the Parrots on the Isle of dogs and at the moment there are lots of duckings and young baby water birds around, which are lovely to watch.

FatLazyContractor
12th June 2015, 09:27
Leeds old road to Manchester road via Bradford city center tunnel (Near Media museum).

FatLazyContractor
12th June 2015, 09:28
From the office to the toilet knowing that I'm getting paid for at least the next half hour :ohwell

Are the Germans so skint that they can't afford a toilet in the office? :ohwell

unixman
12th June 2015, 09:34

South Sheilds is surely a comely place for a walk. Along the seafront, stopping for a breakfast of chips and ice cream. Still, every place has its grot spots I suppose.

FatLazyContractor
12th June 2015, 09:37

Aren't you served breakfast in your bedroom anymore? Time to update your location mate! :igmc:

greenlake
12th June 2015, 17:00
Anyone worked at Nestlé in Vevey, Switzerland?

Lovely walk to the office along Lake Geneva from many of the local hotels in the area. Great views of the French Alps on a clear day.

meridian
12th June 2015, 17:40
Anyone worked at Nestlé in Vevey, Switzerland?

Lovely walk to the office along Lake Geneva from many of the local hotels in the area. Great views of the French Alps on a clear day.

Lived in the Old Town there for a year, it was a lovely walk through the cobblestone streets out into the marketplace and then stroll into work along the lakefront.

DieScum
14th June 2015, 01:24
I'm in Sydney. Just now the walk is through Redfern and then Darling Harbour. The former was traditionally run down, the place Aborigines live and with a lot of crime and drug problems. Now it is a mix. Part gentrified, part not. I walk past the Aboriginal tent embassy every day - it seems to be mostly made up of white people with dreadlocks.

I've seen some funny sights in Redfern. Trade union rallies round campfires, a high as a kite man in just his underpants walking around arms flailing, a woman dressed in PVC tarted up like a prostitute who was carting a big suitcase and looking lost (I helped her carry it for a bit), young guys rapping on the street, hipsters. Lots and lots of hipsters.

Then Darling Harbour which is tourist central. Often there are commercial events and it's all clean, corporate, tourist friendly fun.

Really like my walk to work.

In the past I used to love walking over the Millenium Bridge with St Pauls in front or walks alongside the Bristol floating harbour.

BrilloPad
14th June 2015, 08:17
Buchen in Germany.

Walker in Germany is killed by an escaped circus elephant - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-33122495)

stek
14th June 2015, 11:19
One clientco walk I had was very evocative, the heavy stench of exotic spices, the unfamiliar jabber of Hindi and other strange tongues, shiit all over the road, mad drivers, and dark-skinned people teeming everywhere.....

I don't live in Bolton anymore though.

Anyone ever contract for UKIP?