• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it reasonable to negotiate in a relocation package?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it reasonable to negotiate in a relocation package?

Is it reasonable to negotiate in a relocation package if relocating to USA for 6 months?

My concern is I've not been contracting very long and I don't think the business finances will carry me due to the cost of relocation. The client will be providing the air travel but the cost of living is notoriously high at the potential location.

Originally posted by robert227 View Post
    Is it reasonable to negotiate in a relocation package if relocating to USA for 6 months?

My concern is I've not been contracting very long and I don't think the business finances will carry me due to the cost of relocation. The client will be providing the air travel but the cost of living is notoriously high at the potential location.
    Factor the cost in to your rate and negotiate.

If you know you are only going for 6 months, it's not quite relocation.

Comment

For a contractor? Relocation? WTF!! You are not relocating you are negotiating expenses for the short term assignment. It's not unusual and it's perfectly reasonable to ask. Please please don't start calling it relocation. You'll just get a flat no. By all means suggest they allow you to bill them for a certain amount of your accommodation and meals etc but I have to say it's your choice to do business with them and anything before you walk in the gate is your problem. Unless you are super niche or something particular I'd be surprised if you got much more than flights. You'd have to pay accommodation if you moved around the UK so it's not really unique to a USA gig.

If you do it make sure you know what you are talking about and give them an offer you feel reasonable and then negotiate. Don't go in all limp wristed and ask. Give them an easy out to say no and they'll take it.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You factor your costs into the price you charge, rather than adding on an additional fee.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

You could ask for expenses. It's not that unusual, and the worst that can happen is that they say No.

As has been indicated to you by other, it is not a "relocation package" you are talking about. This is permie stuff.
          Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Working...
          X