PDA

View Full Version : Are we repeating same mistakes as 1930s?

BrilloPad
14th June 2015, 05:19
Our defence cuts leave us looking feeble in the eyes of the world - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/11673337/Our-defence-cuts-leave-us-looking-feeble-in-the-eyes-of-the-world.html)

We are appeasing our enemies and making the same mistakes as in the 1930s during the rise of Nazism

I disagree. We have a nuclear deterrent. However we are repeating same mistakes as 1920s. Gap between rich and poor is widening all the time.

SimonMac
14th June 2015, 08:37
Our defence cuts leave us looking feeble in the eyes of the world - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/11673337/Our-defence-cuts-leave-us-looking-feeble-in-the-eyes-of-the-world.html)

We are appeasing our enemies and making the same mistakes as in the 1930s during the rise of Nazism

I disagree. We have a nuclear deterrent. However we are repeating same mistakes as 1920s. Gap between rich and poor is widening all the time.

At least (some of) the megalomaniacs hell bent on global domination are on our side this time

MarillionFan
14th June 2015, 10:21
At least (some of) the megalomaniacs hell bent on global domination are on our side this time

What makes you think I'm on your side?

SimonMac
14th June 2015, 11:34
What makes you think I'm on your side?

I assume you're Pinky rather than the Brain

TykeMerc
14th June 2015, 11:40
I assume you're Pinky rather than the Brain

Seems possible.

Narf!

minestrone
14th June 2015, 16:15
Germany now has more control over Europe that it did in 1943. Greece does not negotiate it's budget with the EU, it negotiates it with Germany. Merkel is now "open to discussion" over the United Kingdom's immigration policy.

We should have nuked Moscow, Leningrad and Stalingrad in 45.

TykeMerc
14th June 2015, 16:40
"We"?

"We" didn't have any nukes at all until 1952.

The septics didn't have more than another couple of cores, and no operational weapons in 1945.

True, plus the delivery would have been more than a trivial challenge, it's a long way to those cities from areas not controlled by the Soviets at the time.

minestrone
14th June 2015, 16:51
"We"?

"We" didn't have any nukes at all until 1952.

The septics didn't have more than another couple of cores, and no operational weapons in 1945.

I'm happy to use 'we' in that context.

I also don't for a second believe that they could not have produced 3 more bombs in that period.

Zero Liability
14th June 2015, 16:57

You can thank activist central bank policy for the latter.

minestrone
14th June 2015, 16:57
True, plus the delivery would have been more than a trivial challenge, it's a long way to those cities from areas not controlled by the Soviets at the time.

The Enola Gay had flight radius of 2900 miles.

TykeMerc
14th June 2015, 17:22
The Enola Gay had flight radius of 2900 miles.

The B29's were all deployed in the Pacific and by the time of the bombing missions the Japanese had very few fighters left, even less experienced pilots still alive and the approach was all over the sea. The soviets had plenty of fighters, including high altitude ones, lots of veteran pilots and a decent air defence network.

Even if they could have assembled a number of weapons (doubtful as plutonium was a sod to get) delivery would have at best been hugely doubtful and with the Soviet military fully mobilised the consequences would have been appalling.

BrilloPad
14th June 2015, 18:15
Germany now has more control over Europe that it did in 1943. Greece does not negotiate it's budget with the EU, it negotiates it with Germany. Merkel is now "open to discussion" over the United Kingdom's immigration policy.

Churchill did not want to stop at Berlin in 45.

We should have listened.

SpontaneousOrder
14th June 2015, 21:20
Lets suppose we had no army at all.

Who would invade us?

Troll
14th June 2015, 21:41

I disagree. We have a nuclear deterrent. However we are repeating same mistakes as 1920s. Gap between rich and poor is widening all the time.We still have more Admirals, Vice Admirals & Captains than surface vessels - 40 Admirals & 260 Captains would appear to be a tad too many for 19 ships!

Goatfell
15th June 2015, 09:31
We still have more Admirals, Vice Admirals & Captains than surface vessels - 40 Admirals & 260 Captains would appear to be a tad too many for 19 ships!

That old chestnut again.

You can build a ship and train an able seaman pretty quickly, you can't magic an experienced admiral out of thin air.

MicrosoftBob
15th June 2015, 09:47
That old chestnut again.

You can build a ship and train an able seaman pretty quickly, you can't magic an experienced admiral out of thin air.

But surely by the time they'd have enough ships to need that many top brass, the existing ones will have died of old age

vetran
15th June 2015, 09:49
But surely by the time they'd have enough ships to need that many top brass, the existing ones will have died of old age

its all about having a few spare, pour encourager les autres.

watch out they are firing admirals at us :eek

PurpleGorilla
15th June 2015, 09:55

[emoji102]

MyUserName
15th June 2015, 10:54
I'm happy to use 'we' in that context.

I also don't for a second believe that they could not have produced 3 more bombs in that period.

They could eventually but not by the end of 1945 (if my memory serves correctly!).

MyUserName
15th June 2015, 10:55
Churchill did not want to stop at Berlin in 45.

We should have listened.

That would be unthinkable!!!

Flashman
15th June 2015, 15:44
Spend more on Defence you feckwitts! We need the SC cleared jobs...oh and it might help defend the country. :o

BrilloPad
15th June 2015, 19:50
Spend more on Defence you feckwitts! We need the SC cleared jobs...oh and it might help defend the country. :o

Bollox! Greens have the right idea on defense(except nuclear deterrent). We only need enough defense to defend our country.

Gumbo Robot
15th June 2015, 19:58
Bollox! Greens have the right idea on defense(except nuclear deterrent). We only need enough defense to defend our country.

They want to get rid of the army altogether and replace it with something that would make Dad's Army look like a crack special forces unit.