• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Whats the going rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats the going rate

Whats the going rate for a senior permie VB / Oracle developer ?

serious answers only please

Where?

That has a big bearing.

London - £35K ish these days.
    Up North - £25K ish.

VB's old hat I'm afraid. VB6 mainstream support from MS ended in March this yr.

Comment

oop norf

VB6 may not be mainsteam but they are using it heavily here. I am considering permiedom for the first time in ten years. :rolleyes

Comment

Bit Low

Dim,
        I would add 5k to both those figures.
        Should pay more now though with the advent of .net, need to pay more to keep a person away from migrating their skillset to new tech

Comment

You'll get more interest in your Oracle skills than your VB skills. Do you have hard Oracle experienc? How recent and what versions is also a factor.

Comment

Not my skill set but I'd of thought add £5K to the figures also. I know on my client site ( Up Nth ) they've attempted to recruit a few permie VB people on sub 30K salaries and not faired very well. I think the advent of C# has started to push up all the MS skills a little. I was shocked how low the permie salaries had got since the Y2K days. Had a look myself but decided I'd try harder at contracting again !

Comment

No point earning a big salary anyway. It'll all go in tax and NI. Better off being poor. The government will like you better that way.

Comment

DP you are fooking right. How low do you reckon I should go.

All I need in life is 10 pints a day and enough money to pay my speeding fines

:rolleyes

Comment

EO,

Hope it's not that place I worked at in York. Right cowboy outfit. Couldn't get any permies even back then and so got us lot in. A lot of us were sat there bored to tears. A lot of the permies were suppose to work at home but I checked as a security audit and not one logged into the network let alone do work. (Permies effectively did a 3 day week)

One contractor (not me) started doing the coffee and doughnut round at 10am. Got back from the city by 11am and broke off for lunch at 12pm. Everybody had jobserve screen on their IE.

To cap it off, when we all had finished "doing our time" and leaving, the managers tried spinning the line that they were moving to .net and we could be one of the ones moving to it.

Like I said, if you're going to that place in York that I've worked at, think twice !
                  (It begins with "P")

Comment

Seriously.

Whatever the client is willing to pay. I've had quotes for VB/SQL server from about 120 a day (that will not even get the big left toe from underneath the Duvet ) to 350 a day. That's before you get to the finance clients.

Comment

Working...
                    X