• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The end of cash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The end of cash

Denmark

The Danish government is concerned that cash puts too many “administrative and financial burdens” on shops and that it acts as a drag on GDP growth. (A McKinsey study recently suggested that if you could get rid of the stuff in the US, you could push up America’s total GDP by 0.47%.) So, as part of a wide group of proposals to boost economic growth, it is to allow shops to stop taking cash.

This makes sense in all sorts of ways. As M&G’s Jim Leaviss points out, handling cash is expensive – you have to process it, give people change for it, provide security for it, take it to the bank, etc.

Cash is also a bore for governments because it is the main facilitator of the black economy – anything paid for via the banking system can be taxed; anything paid for in cash can be missed. Plus, physical cash often means physical crime, so getting rid of cash could mean less crime and less tax evasion. That’s all good.

And getting rid of cash isn’t likely to bother the Danes much. Denmark’s central bank has already stopped printing notes and producing coins; many banks don’t carry cash; two million people out of 5.6 million use Danske Bank’s mobile payment system; and almost everyone has a debit card anyway.

But that doesn’t mean there’s nothing to worry about. There is.

Danish interest rates are negative: put your money in the bank and it’ll cost you 0.75% in interest (yup, you pay them). The idea here is that to avoid paying this you will either invest or spend your money, boosting the economy along the way.
    What do you think? Follow Denmark or piles of £50s under the mattress?

end of the 10p mixup can't see the kids wanting to pay via card...
    Join IPSE

Comment

There are numerous Ickesque conspiracy theories out there regarding this.

Can't remember what the endgame is but I'm sure it involves lizards.

Comment

Much like global warming, peak oil, IPv4 running out and flares coming back, electronic forms of money have been about to replace cash for decades.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

There will always be a need for cash, its still suprsing how many businesses are just too ill equiped to handle card payments, but I understand the allure to a govt to be able to track every penny that an individual has, spends or earns
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Hookers don't have a slot to accept cards.
            I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Originally posted by GlenW View Post
              Hookers don't have a slot to accept cards.
              Bend them over and swipe it down their arse cheeks
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                There will always be a need for cash, its still suprsing how many businesses are just too ill equiped to handle card payments
                In the UK... that's not a general rule though. It seems Denmark is largely cashless already and this is only removing the legal requirement for a shop to accept cash - if that loses them some cash-only customers this is their choice.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  Much like global warming, peak oil, IPv4 running out and flares coming back, electronic forms of money have been about to replace cash for decades.
                  In some places they are.

The Economist explains: Why does Kenya lead the world in mobile money? | The Economist

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/03...nomic_freedom/
                  Last edited by DaveB; 18 June 2015, 08:04.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    This makes sense in all sorts of ways. As M&G’s Jim Leaviss points out, handling cash is expensive – you have to process it, give people change for it, provide security for it, take it to the bank, etc.
                    Then why do businesses charge for using cards?

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    Cash is also a bore for governments because it is the main facilitator of the black economy – anything paid for via the banking system can be taxed; anything paid for in cash can be missed. Plus, physical cash often means physical crime, so getting rid of cash could mean less crime and less tax evasion. That’s all good.
                    This is the real reason. Government control. People want privacy. I think Russia said freedom is the freedom the commit crimes.

Comment

Working...
                    X