• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Searching for other users of ICS / Merchant / Marra EBT schemes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Searching for other users of ICS / Merchant / Marra EBT schemes

Hello guys,
    I've been searching for a group thread of contractors who used ICS (still going in UK) and Isle of Man EBT/loan companies Merchant and Marra, roughly from years 2007 through 2010.

The scheme and loan setups used sound extremely similar to those I've read about from Edge, Sanzar etc., and I know they had at least several hundred contractors (if not more) involved. However I haven't seen any dedicated thread dealing with these companies.

I've been caught up in the CLSO with HMRC claiming my loans are taxable income for the years 2007-2008, 2008-2009 and 2009-2010 (I left the scheme at the start of 2011 so I don't exactly know what happened after that).

ICS is being utterly pathetic about the whole thing. They are still replying to emails but are frankly refusing to really engage. It isn't even clear if they have funding or coverage to fight any potential litigation in the courts.

Anyone else in the same position, and if so, what are you planning to do about the 30th June settlement deadline? For my part I've started taking out Certificates Of Tax Deposit, but am still unsure whether to pay up, since I really do feel like HMRC are taking the piss with the retrospective legal change.

If I did pay up, I'm also not clear as to whether that means that any loans I had are rendered illegal/void/unenforceable, should Merchant or Marra actually ever want me to repay them. Whilst this might seem unlikely, I'd want HMRC to underwrite this in some way.

thanks
    hairyaardvark

Originally posted by hairyaardvark View Post
    ICS is being utterly pathetic about the whole thing. They are still replying to emails but are frankly refusing to really engage. It isn't even clear if they have funding or coverage to fight any potential litigation in the courts.
    Just from reading the above I think it's safe to say they are not planning a fight....

Anyone else in the same position, and if so, what are you planning to do about the 30th June settlement deadline? For my part I've started taking out Certificates Of Tax Deposit, but am still unsure whether to pay up, since I really do feel like HMRC are taking the piss with the retrospective legal change.
    The 30 June deadline is to apply for the SO.
    Have your received settlement figures? are they correct?
    And do you have an APN? (or multiple APNs?). It's not clear from your post.

If I did pay up, I'm also not clear as to whether that means that any loans I had are rendered illegal/void/unenforceable, should Merchant or Marra actually ever want me to repay them. Whilst this might seem unlikely, I'd want HMRC to underwrite this in some way.
    No, you taking the SO does not render the loans void. Unfortunately, it is not that simple.

I would suggest you join BIG GROUP (link in my sig.), who may be able to help
    Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Thanks for the tip on the BIG group, I'll look it up now.

In answer to your other questions:
      - yes the figures they've sent me a 99% correct (we've been back and forward a few times but they are correct now)
      - no I've not yet seen any APNs
      - this might be because I've proactively told HMRC that I'm taking out Certificates of Tax Deposit (which pretty much achieves the same aim as an APN) ... but it might be unrelated

Comment

User of ICS

Hello guys,
        I've been searching for a group thread of contractors who used ICS (still going in UK) and Isle of Man EBT/loan companies Merchant and Marra, roughly from years 2007 through 2010.

The scheme and loan setups used sound extremely similar to those I've read about from Edge, Sanzar etc., and I know they had at least several hundred contractors (if not more) involved. However I haven't seen any dedicated thread dealing with these companies.

I've been caught up in the CLSO with HMRC claiming my loans are taxable income for the years 2007-2008, 2008-2009 and 2009-2010 (I left the scheme at the start of 2011 so I don't exactly know what happened after that).

thanks
        hairyaardvark

Hi hairyaardvark
        I used ICS between 2008-2010 and also have the dreaded brown envelopes.

Would be really interested to see how you've since got on with HMRC & in particular, ICS's reaction to your settlement discussions. Semantics of legality, morality aside, what i'm losing sleep over is the potential of ICS recalling loans during the period in question. Did you ever manage to get anywhere with them on this?

Either way would be great to chat. Perhaps PM me and we'll talk further?

Comment

Working...
        X