PDA

View Full Version : Has some of you succeeded into bigger business from contracting?

diseasex
19th June 2015, 13:02
Hi, that question bothers me since the first thought about contracting.
Has some of you guys managed to turn contracting business into something bigger / better/ less personal involvement?
Im thinking if somehow jumping into software house would be possible in my case.
Any success stories here? What are the options except for obvious BTL ?

TheFaQQer
19th June 2015, 13:08
Any success stories here?

If there were, do you think they'd be posting here?

diseasex
19th June 2015, 13:10

True, but I guessed that few might be willing to share.

BrilloPad
19th June 2015, 13:11

Several claim to have done so. Why would you possibly be sceptical? :eyes

pr1
19th June 2015, 13:35
not without an accountant

SlipTheJab
19th June 2015, 13:43

:rollin:

diseasex
19th June 2015, 13:46

This forum amaze me

tractor
19th June 2015, 13:50
This forum amaze me

Lucky you joined then :)

diseasex
19th June 2015, 13:53
Lucky you joined then :)

That's fine, there are few normal people here too I think . You just have to dig deep
:D

stek
19th June 2015, 13:55
Has some of you guys managed to turn contracting business into something bigger / better/ less personal involvement?
Im thinking if somehow jumping into software house would be possible in my case.

In your case I'd say forget it, you don't have what it takes.

eek
19th June 2015, 13:57
Supposedly MF has got bigger fatter....

However, its not really the purpose of this forum.

To grow bigger in this game you need to be in the right place at the right time and grab the opportunity. The problem is that contracting is a easy way to make money. It doesn't require an real effort to make a lot more than the average man in the street. I only have to look at how hard Mrs Eek works to see that,,

jamesbrown
19th June 2015, 14:20
The problem is that contracting is a easy way to make money. It doesn't require an real effort to make a lot more than the average man in the street. I only have to look at how hard Mrs Eek works to see that,,

Precisely this. At least in terms of building a service company (as opposed to something built around specific products), there's very little incentive to scale-up, because you won't make any more money, and you'll invite an awful lot more hassle. I can perhaps see the incentive if you've developed an innovative line of products and you have a desire to "build something", but I can't see the incentive to develop a consultancy, for example. Contracting is fortunate work if you can get it. When I draw the same comparison to my g/f, who works as a uni. prof., she works 3x harder for less than a third of the money. OTOH, she does love the work, and money isn't everything (apparently :laugh).

MarillionFan
19th June 2015, 15:57
Any success stories here?

Yes thanks.

diseasex
19th June 2015, 16:03
Yes thanks.

Care to share any details?

tractor
19th June 2015, 16:48
Care to share any details?

Yeah, MF did it by copping out and going permie haha

TykeMerc
19th June 2015, 17:09

Yes, which is why I own all of IBM, Microsoft and will be buying Apple on Wednesday because I hate the fanboyism and want to shut the company down.

Look if you're going to ask silly General questions start the threads in General. It's been clear from day 1 that your ID is yet another trolling one.

NotAllThere
19th June 2015, 17:10
I know two consultancies (with about 50 employees or so) that began with contractors. They had to move away from the standard contractor model of course, and already had a good network.

TykeMerc
19th June 2015, 17:11
I know two consultancies (with about 50 employees or so) that began with contractors. They had to move away from the standard contractor model of course, and already had a good network.

NAT please do the needful and shift this thread to General. Thanks.

SueEllen
19th June 2015, 19:00
I know people who have.

Some of them are nice and a couple are tossers.

Both groups have an accountant, worked 24-7 when setting up and still can't stop working long hours. Most also had their partners and a few other family members involved to do the more mundane tasks.

diseasex
19th June 2015, 20:45
I know people who have.

Some of them are nice and a couple are tossers.

Both groups have an accountant, worked 24-7 when setting up and still can't stop working long hours. Most also had their partners and a few other family members involved to do the more mundane tasks.

out of curiosity , how well did it go for them?

TykeMerc
20th June 2015, 07:39

Wonderful, you should set out and do it now.

I recommend you start employing managers, directors and staff and get say £500k in startup funding from your bank. Go for it, what can possibly go wrong for such an awesome individual as yourself?

SueEllen
20th June 2015, 07:45

Well enough for me to only randomly see them.

On a more serious note like all the people I've met with employees this is what they complain about most.

If you can't be bothered to get an accountant then I wouldn't look at hiring employees or even subcontractors as there is loads of red tape around that.

eek
20th June 2015, 07:53
:yay: Moved to General :yay:

So now I can call you the http://www.disney.co.uk/muppets/cms_res/images/download_pics/emoticons/animal_dejected.gif muppet that you...

From the top:-

Firstly you need to learn to write proper English

Has some of you succeeded into bigger business from contracting? should be
"Have any of you succeeded in creating a bigger business from contracting"

Then you need to learn the art of delegation. Given your inability to find a decent accountant we all known that if you were ever to pass the first hurdle, the second one would be impossible...

TykeMerc
20th June 2015, 07:55
Well enough for me to only randomly see them.

On a more serious note like all the people I've met with employees this is what they complain about most.

If you can't be bothered to get an accountant then I wouldn't look at hiring employees or even subcontractors as there is loads of red tape around that.

Nah, read this socktroll's his other posts, he's far too good to need an accountant or rational advice, he should get things rolling now, by Christmas he should be well along on his second million.

WordIsBond
20th June 2015, 08:08
....but I can't see the incentive to develop a consultancy, for example.
In my case, family reasons, but that wouldn't be true for most people.

Other reasons:
1. Leveraging a reputation. If you have a great reputation, and are willing to involve yourself in design and/or oversight of the work of junior consultants, you can bill them at a much higher rate than they could get otherwise. Better salary for them AND profit for you, and often with not that much personal involvement.
2. Providing better value for money. We're currently on our third and fourth projects in three months. Only one needed my personal involvement more than 50%. I can delegate other parts to someone who costs half (or less) what I cost, give the client a better price, and still pay people well and make a nice profit. The client still gets my expertise on the part of the job where it is needed.

Of course, that stuff is harder if everything has to be on site.

FatLazyContractor
20th June 2015, 08:18
Yes, I made it real big by contracting with other contractors' wives/GFs/mistresses when the said contractors were away from home for weeks.

In fact I made it so big that the business made mine too big to handle. :smokin

MarillionFan
20th June 2015, 08:22
:glasses
Yes, I made it real big by contracting with other contractors' wives/GFs/mistresses when the said contractors were away from home for weeks.

In fact I made it so big that the business made mine too big to handle. :smokin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjnGsz3djiM

eek
20th June 2015, 08:25
The one thing WordIsBond missed out is that it also requires moving away from agents to either direct sells by yourself, paying someone to do it or networking...

Looking at the non agency things I'm looking at for the longer term its a lot of work with no immediate only potential income, long lead times, requires building partnerships and has upfront costs...

The tender I'm currently working on (its a long term project ) is going to cost me £2k to get properly prepared... And that is money I need to spend on a 20% chance of getting the work...

TykeMerc
20th June 2015, 08:33
Hi, that question bothers me since the first thought about contracting I started plaguing CUK.
Why in hells name do I create all these unimaginative, irritating, dull sockpuppets?

FTFY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAyh23l1mx4

diseasex
20th June 2015, 09:10
Wonderful, you should set out and do it now.

I recommend you start employing managers, directors and staff and get say £500k in startup funding from your bank. Go for it, what can possibly go wrong for such an awesome individual as yourself?

You have a problem with my posts idiot? Do you think I want to read your stupid comments ? Go blow yourself and don't read it if you don't like it

FatLazyContractor
20th June 2015, 09:35
Go blow yourself and don't read it if you don't like it

That needs a combination of three things:

1. Spineless
2. Ribless
3. Fatless tummy

I think Tyke boy only satisfies the first condition :D

FatLazyContractor
20th June 2015, 09:36
:glasses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjnGsz3djiM

Is that your retirement plan ?

Scruff
20th June 2015, 09:47
You have a problem with my posts idiot? Do you think I want to read your stupid comments ? Go blow yourself and don't read it if you don't like it

Who pissed on your chips, this morning?

eek
20th June 2015, 09:53

Why on earth are you insulting one of the few people who bother to reply to your inane stupid threads... Remember many of us have been contractors on and off for 20 odd years while you haven't even started yet.

i'll ignore the fact your skill set is utterly offshorable...

TykeMerc
20th June 2015, 10:00
Why on earth are you insulting one of the few people who bother to reply to your inane stupid threads... Remember many of us have been contractors on and off for 20 odd years while you haven't even started yet.

It's not an insult, it's clearly another in the endless line of sockie ID's that's following the predictable path. God forbid it's not a real poster, no-one real can be as astoundingly arrogant, ignorant and downright stupid.

To Scruff - I think it was me, but the response is typical of a behaviour we're familiar with from certain posters in the Professional sections, just the rattling of the sock drawer handles.

eek
20th June 2015, 10:04
It's not an insult, it's clearly another in the endless line of sockie ID's that's following the predictable path. God forbid it's not a real poster, no-one real can be as astoundingly arrogant, ignorant and downright stupid.

To Scruff - I think it was me, but the response is typical of a behaviour we're familiar with from certain posters in the Professional sections, just the rattling of the sock drawer handles.

True I should have said attacking rather than insulting.

The only reason why I don't think he is a sockie is that his english is so poor I can't work out who could run a sockie like that...

diseasex
20th June 2015, 10:40

Have you even seen his reply ? I'm done with this retarded forum . Bunch of morons .

eek
20th June 2015, 10:41
Have you even seen his reply ? I'm done with this retarded forum . Bunch of morons .

Well there is one moron on this thread - The person I'm replying to... :wave: you won't be missed...

NotAllThere
20th June 2015, 10:59
... no-one real can be as astoundingly arrogant, ignorant and downright stupid...Oh, they can. Politicians, senior managers, end-users, moderators... :ohwell

MarillionFan
20th June 2015, 11:19

No come back. You fit in well.

TykeMerc
20th June 2015, 11:40
Oh, they can. Politicians, senior managers, end-users, moderators... :ohwell

Fair point, OK well maybe, just maybe he's an example of the worst of those a Politician (I'd never be so low to call anyone a forum mod).

Entertaining that he's doing a fake flounce :)