• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best TV service for someone who rarely watches TV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best TV service for someone who rarely watches TV

My Sky subscription is a waste of money, apart from evening news and Simpsons and odd things like Game of Thrones I rarely watch TV.

Wondering about on demand alternatives where I can just get occasional things me & son want that are not on Freeview. Ideally I also need to be able to get BBC news in my area as with Sky. I can only get London news on Freeview as that's where my aerial is pointing.

Any recommendations? Ta.

PS I realise I'll probably need a more up to date set with decent internet access.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    My Sky subscription is a waste of money, apart from evening news and Simpsons and odd things like Game of Thrones I rarely watch TV.

Wondering about on demand alternatives where I can just get occasional things me & son want that are not on Freeview. Ideally I also need to be able to get BBC news in my area as with Sky. I can only get London news on Freeview as that's where my aerial is pointing.

Any recommendations? Ta.

PS I realise I'll probably need a more up to date set with decent internet access.
    assuming your internet is fast enough a now tv box may be fine....

or anything that runs netflix (amazon firestick, roku....)
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      assuming your internet is fast enough a now tv box may be fine....

or anything that runs netflix (amazon firestick, roku....)
      Not even sure that you need that. If your internet connection is fast enough you can get most things through it. I use Blinkbox for the box sets and BBC iPlayer and other stuff for the rest.

Not quite on demand but good enough for those who don't want wall to wall attention seekers like big bro and Geordie tulip and incessant reruns of judge judy and the 'flamboyant' UK version.

Comment

Regarding news I think if you cancel Sky the box will still give you the free channels including all the regions. Or just buy a Freesat box.

I've got to admit I'm now completely sold on Netflix. I also have to admit that I now watch more on Netflix for £7.99 per month than I watch on Sky for £38 per month.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          Regarding news I think if you cancel Sky the box will still give you the free channels including all the regions. Or just buy a Freesat box.

I've got to admit I'm now completely sold on Netflix. I also have to admit that I now watch more on Netflix for £7.99 per month than I watch on Sky for £38 per month.
          I find Netflix a tad limited for content and new additions - I've heard ours is but a pale imitation of the USA offering - also the menu imho is pants
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Vivid TV ( Channel 598)

HTH

Comment

Amazon Prime/Lovefilm are the best combo, IMO. It gets the newest film releases before NoW TV, and you can order series to watch. I like Netflix as well, very decent, and there are ways to tap into the US version, although the British one has improved over the last year or so. Comes to about £20 pm for all of them, with no TV licence needed. Now TV does get the latest series earlier though, and is about £5pm (if you opt to cancel before it is due to renew, they will discount it to about that much.)

If you had to pick just one and aren't too fussed about the timing, I'd say Netflix is best.

Comment

Torrents gives you all you need at no cost, although can be faffy. And illegal. I cancelled my Netflix last year because the content was really limited I thought. Try the one month for free? Getting US Netflix isn't that hard as someone else but I still found it limiting. I keep my Sky sub so that the box records stuff

Comment

Freeview/Freesat

And netflix or lovefilm.

Both netflix and lovefilm can be watched on other devices like laptops, phones and tablets.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Lovefilm? When was the last time you lot watched a film?

In February 2014, Amazon announced that it would fold LoveFilm's streaming service.

I just tried Netflix for the 4K stuff, it was worth it for the novelty value (and good picture quality), but not worth the extra. Their original stuff is getting good, Sense8 took a time to get into, but the next series should be better. Just watched "Better Call Saul", good intro to BB. Just watching Lillyhammer now.

Then I'll cancel my free 30 day subscription, and on to Amazon to see what they've got.

If you've already got Sky, then downgrade to Freesat from Sky (just keep the box & card, but no subscription). Then just get a streaming device, Amazon firestick, Google Chromecast, blu-ray player, Now box, PC, console, etc. Most devices seem to have the same providers.

Comment

Working...
                    X