• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Whining sponging child

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whining sponging child

'How a £90 will by Barclays lost half my house' - Telegraph

Court documents detail how in 2007 Ebenezer Aregbesola used Barclays' £90 will-writing service to create a will dealing with his various assets including homes overseas and in London. His will instructed half of the London home to be given to his daughter, Tinuola Aregbesola, on his death.

The property was owned jointly by Mr Aregbesola and his wife – who was not Tinuola's mother. Because of the joint ownership, on Mr Aregbesola's death in early 2014, the property went wholly to his wife – in contravention of the wishes spelt out in the will.

Can't she go out and earn her own cash?

I've never really gotten the inheritance thing - why would you ever assume that someone elses possessions are 'yours'.

We keep telling the MIL that she needs to spend more of her money - we certainly don't need a penny of it.

That said, it sounds like she has a very solid case so far - so if the court rule that the resultant will wasn't the deceased intentions then that's fair enough.

Horrid how this kind of crap can tear families apart, though.
    Last edited by vwdan; 21 June 2015, 09:50.

Comment

The kid is obviously due half the house, as per the dead guys wishes. but only in a moral sense, not legally.
      Cheapo wills are fine, but it's beholden on the will maker to ensure that the will can be implemented, if there are any complications, use a solicitor.
      (\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
        We keep telling the MIL that she needs to spend more of her money - we certainly don't need a penny of it.
        I kept tell my mother that for last 10 years. She likes to travel and I have pushed her to go as often as she can.

Just as well as found out yesterday she has leukemia. Oddly she has been tired for weeks and we thought it was leukemia. Hospital insisted it was not that for ages then finally agreed.

She is not going to travel any more. I am pleased she did it when she could.

Comment

Funny. I was thinking about this issue yesterday when I got a questionnaire to fill in from the solicitors who recently did my will. I was thinking, "how do I know how well you did the job until I'm dead?"
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I'll cash in and buy gold if I know I'm about to croak.

I paid tax on getting the money, the places I worked for got tax on the earnings I made for them working with them, I'll be dammed if they tax the pennies on my eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              'How a £90 will by Barclays lost half my house' - Telegraph

Court documents detail how in 2007 Ebenezer Aregbesola used Barclays' £90 will-writing service to create a will dealing with his various assets including homes overseas and in London. His will instructed half of the London home to be given to his daughter, Tinuola Aregbesola, on his death.

The property was owned jointly by Mr Aregbesola and his wife – who was not Tinuola's mother. Because of the joint ownership, on Mr Aregbesola's death in early 2014, the property went wholly to his wife – in contravention of the wishes spelt out in the will.

Can't she go out and earn her own cash?
              The property is in an expensive part of London where "normal" houses are often a few million quid, so I doubt the daughter could earn a million quid.

This is the reason why Barclays is ignoring the FOS and it's gone to court.

If the house was in Hull I doubt they would have an issue paying out a few thousand pounds.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                I've never really gotten the inheritance thing - why would you ever assume that someone elses possessions are 'yours'.

That said, it sounds like she has a very solid case so far - so if the court rule that the resultant will wasn't the deceased intentions then that's fair enough.

Horrid how this kind of crap can tear families apart, though.
                Some women spend half their lives being pawed at by rich fat sweaty blokes just so they can get his money when he kicks the bucket.

The oldest profession is a still alive and well.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  The property is in an expensive part of London where "normal" houses are often a few million quid, so I doubt the daughter could earn a million quid.

This is the reason why Barclays is ignoring the FOS and it's gone to court.

If the house was in Hull I doubt they would have an issue paying out a few thousand pounds.
                  Good you confirm it is nothing to do with feelings for her father. It's all to do with the money.

Just for once, I hope the whole lot goes in legal fees.

He should have left the house to the local cats home.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Good you confirm it is nothing to do with feelings for her father. It's all to do with the money.

Just for once, I hope the whole lot goes in legal fees.

He should have left the house to the local cats home.
                    The RSPCA are worse about chasing for money from inheritances.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X