• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oh dear: Real snub Becks bid for pay rise

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh dear: Real snub Becks bid for pay rise

Real snub Becks bid for pay rise

From ERIC BEAUCHAMP in Madrid

DAVID BECKHAM’S new contract demands are to be REJECTED by Real Madrid.

Becks, 31, was a sub for a third consecutive game last night in the 5-1 Champions League win over Dynamo Kiev.

He will finally open talks over a new two-year deal with Real chiefs tomorrow but the midfield star — axed by England after the World Cup — is set for a major shock as his request for a rise on his £4million-a-year net salary will be rejected.

And the Spanish giants will not entertain reducing the club’s 50 per cent cut of Becks’ off-pitch income.

That will undoubtedly rock the Beckham camp, who believe he is under-rewarded for the marketing millions he earns Real.

But Becks is likely to be offered an extension on his current terms when his deal expires next summer.

Real, who paid out £25m to Manchester United for Beckham in 2003, want to keep him but not at any price.

Ruud van Nistelrooy (2), Raul (2) and Jose Reyes, who sub Becks replaced, struck to destroy Kiev.

------------

Oh dear - looks like hair-cut boy is not even good for marketing reasons there!

Here is how football team should be run propertly:
    1) Becks of this world get a big kick up their arse
    2) All players are put on "commission" based package: they must product minimum required from them (for strikers its goals, for defenders tackles, etc) and if they fail to do so, then they get fired in disgrace. If they do more than they get an extra cut, of course those who just hit the minimum threshold get minimum salary, maybe £100,000 pa.
    3) Any player who asks for more than 10% pay raise gets a tour in Africa to see how people die there from starvation
    4) Any player who asks for more than 20% pay raise is forced to do a few weeks of honest jobs like being a janitor or a nurse cleaning up after drunken yobs
    5) And don't ask me what happens if any players asks for more than 50% pay raise...
    Last edited by AtW; 27 September 2006, 19:10.

I don't like Beckham much these days. I think he has really lost it in footballing terms and has since Man U let him go. However in terms of the income he generates off the pitch, he is seen as being the biggest reason behind Real becomming the richest club in the world. Who were the previous holders of this title?

I would have thought his marketing profile would now have passed its peak, but it is likely to be still pretty huge, hence the reluctance of Real to renegotiate.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
      I would have thought his marketing profile would now have passed its peak, but it is likely to be still pretty huge, hence the reluctance of Real to renegotiate.
      If his potential was huge they would actually negotiate instead of snubbing him like that: Becks is something they call "spent" material, maybe not fully, but almost.

I can feel sorry for Owen, but not for that selfish tw@t of a person - anyone on already huge salary, plus being very rich, who comes to ask for yet another huge payraise should be able to justify it so clearly that it is a no brainer.

IMO Man U lost more from losing Van Nisleroy (sp?), than Beckham.

Comment

I would agree that he is spent in footballing terms, but from the marketing point of view I think he still has a bit to go yet. He wants a pay rise and a bigger chunk of his marketing rights. His 31 and in footballing terms, not the player they bought a few years ago. Real know that no other club other than perhaps Chelsea could offer what they are offering & Man U won't have him back. That is why they are negotiating in this way.

When he left Man U he sold more shirts than the rest of the team put together. Van Nistleroy never did this. Marketing wise comparing Becham and Van Nistleroy is like comparing Man U and Rochdale.

Also you have to look at it from his point of view. This will be his last contract and his earning potential will drop massively. His negotiating stance is to aim high and get knocked down, while real will start low knowing that there are few other out there who could compete. After this congtact he has to survive on what little his wife can earn 'singing'
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Chelsea told him to feck off - he sure fancied to get the highest transfer price.

Van N may not be great tat seller, but he sure scores goals.

Comment

Alexei

get a ******* room with Beckham and just get done with it.
            What is it with you and Beckham?
            He turned you down, didn't he, that's what it is!
            Why not?

Comment

Up the pub last Saturday, a sober footy fan mate of mine (called Rob) said Beckham should be picked for the next England squad.

Not to play, he said, but to be in the squad! I didn't understand that.

Why? I asked. His performances over the past few years have gone downhill. The Prozone stats prove his performances and dead-ball kicking is ropey these days - about ten good'uns out of 50 in the world cup - and that's why McClaren has dropped him. So why have him?

Because of that goal against Greece, he replied.

Why not pick Geoff Hurst then, I asked, because of that hat-trick against the Germans!

Fuck off, he said, and we agreed to differ.

Comment

"Because of that goal against Greece, he replied."

And it was that goal and that performance which basically kept him in the England side ever since. It might have been better had it not gone in. Then at least the Sven era may not have lasted as long as it did.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
                  Real know that no other club other than perhaps Chelsea could offer what they are offering
                  This doesn't make sense to me. If he really makes millions from off pitch activities then someone could offer him 100% of that income but pay him less 'salary' and he would still be better off. This would be a relatively risk free option for a club so a smaller club would be able to afford it.

This is the final year of his contract so if Real don't offer him something that he likes, he can transfer for free. A Newcastle (or Portsmouth!) could easily do a deal like that, and it would give Beckham more chance of 'shining' at the football as well.

Of course, he may not like moving to an unglamourous club.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                    Real snub Becks bid for pay rise

From ERIC BEAUCHAMP in Madrid

DAVID BECKHAM’S new contract demands are to be REJECTED by Real Madrid.

Becks, 31, was a sub for a third consecutive game last night in the 5-1 Champions League win over Dynamo Kiev.

He will finally open talks over a new two-year deal with Real chiefs tomorrow but the midfield star — axed by England after the World Cup — is set for a major shock as his request for a rise on his £4million-a-year net salary will be rejected.

And the Spanish giants will not entertain reducing the club’s 50 per cent cut of Becks’ off-pitch income.

That will undoubtedly rock the Beckham camp, who believe he is under-rewarded for the marketing millions he earns Real.

But Becks is likely to be offered an extension on his current terms when his deal expires next summer.

Real, who paid out £25m to Manchester United for Beckham in 2003, want to keep him but not at any price.

Ruud van Nistelrooy (2), Raul (2) and Jose Reyes, who sub Becks replaced, struck to destroy Kiev.

------------

Oh dear - looks like hair-cut boy is not even good for marketing reasons there!

Here is how football team should be run propertly:
                    1) Becks of this world get a big kick up their arse
                    2) All players are put on "commission" based package: they must product minimum required from them (for strikers its goals, for defenders tackles, etc) and if they fail to do so, then they get fired in disgrace. If they do more than they get an extra cut, of course those who just hit the minimum threshold get minimum salary, maybe £100,000 pa.
                    3) Any player who asks for more than 10% pay raise gets a tour in Africa to see how people die there from starvation
                    4) Any player who asks for more than 20% pay raise is forced to do a few weeks of honest jobs like being a janitor or a nurse cleaning up after drunken yobs
                    5) And don't ask me what happens if any players asks for more than 50% pay raise...
                    This seems to put him under IR35
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X