• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where's my free W10 upgrade option?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where's my free W10 upgrade option?

Having finally resolved my Windows Update issues it's now updated and happy again.

I was expecting to see a "register for free Windows 10" icon but no such luck. I don't want to be forced to upgrade right away but would like a free copy for my W7 desktop... is there a manual option to go and sign up?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

They're going to do it for a year, but something I read said that they were checking compatibility of the components / drivers with W10 before the thing would pop-up.

So my Windows 8.1 laptop has offered it, my Windows 7 desktop hasn't yet.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Got mine and it's Windows 7. Maybe 'cos I just installed it on a new PC.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

If it's W7 Enterprise edition then you won't get it.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Actually I was going to start a thread on this, I have an old IBM thinkpad that I use as a backup laptop ( remote desktop to my main PC really ) , it was 32 bit windows with 2 gig so I dropped in another 2gig and installed 64 bit windows 8 pro 3 weeks ago, upgraded to 8.1 fine.

No sign of the icon.

My main laptop is win 8.1 home and I was wanting to upgrade to pro before the 10 upgrade so I could turn on bitlocker but I'm now holding back as I have not seen the icon on the IBM.

Main laptop had the icon so did my desktop.

Comment

Available 29 July, for those not already on Win 10 technical preview

When is the Windows 10 free upgrade released? - Telegraph

Same deal may also available for XP and Vista.

http://www.ibtimes.com.au/windows-10...ipants-1452800
            Last edited by anonymouse; 23 June 2015, 18:59.

Comment

I am as confused as everyone else.
              I am building a second PC now (a HTPC ) and would like to install W10 on it straight away.
              I think I am eligible as I was on Windows Insider program, do I have to wait until the 29th or can I install sooner and 'update' to RTM when release?

Comment

Windows icon had not appeared on said second laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
                  I am as confused as everyone else.
                  I am building a second PC now (a HTPC ) and would like to install W10 on it straight away.
                  I think I am eligible as I was on Windows Insider program, do I have to wait until the 29th or can I install sooner and 'update' to RTM when release?
                  AIUI, Windows Insider folks won't get the full version proper, just rolling updates to what they have already as long as they stay in the program. A sort of endless beta...........

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    A sort of endless beta...........
                    Same experience as for everybody else, only they've actually asked for it...

Comment

Working...
                    X