• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Travellers Century Club

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travellers Century Club

So I was thinking of travelling to Easter Island when I was in San Diego next month & was checking out flights, only discover my geography is crap and it was at least 13 hours to Santiago, before another 5 1/2 hours to Easter Island. Needless that isn't happening over the weekend.

In the meantime, I came across the TCC. This is a club in the US, that you can enter if you have travelled '100' countries. Destinations are based on the list of 324 'countries', where countries are considered Unique destinations.

Countries & Territories | The Travelers' Century Club

I thought I was quite well travelled (as was the missus) we both managed a meagre 35 'countries' each, both different. Hers 'Cook Islands', mine 'San Marino' as the most obscure. Obviously not.

Scores on the doors, ladies & gentlemen?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Only 28, fewer that I thought (I'm 37). A large fraction of those are European countries, some I've done to death with road trips, others I've lived in, and most I've hardly touched. At some point, I'll take a motorcycle trip around South America, which will add quite a few, but who's counting?

Comment

I ran out of fingers and toes - around 30ish I think, fewer than I thought. I've never been to North America.

So how many countries have you geocached in?

I've got 12 little flags on my stats page

Most northerly cache - Iceland
        Most Westerly - Peru
        Most Southernly - Oz
        Most Easterly - also Oz
        Last edited by mudskipper; 23 June 2015, 05:30.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCoconutDog View Post
          Wow, that's going some!

Comment

Travellers Century Club

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            Wow, that's going some!
            You can visit some obscure places for just a couple of hours on a cruise holiday

Comment

Originally posted by TheCoconutDog View Post
              You can visit some obscure places for just a couple of hours on a cruise holiday
              In that case i'm having the transit destinations on the way to see Bob.

That makes about 15 I think. Annoyingly, having been to Yugoslavia, that would count as 3 nowadays

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
                In that case i'm having the transit destinations on the way to see Bob.

That makes about 15 I think. Annoyingly, having been to Yugoslavia, that would count as 3 nowadays
                I counted it as one - although I have to confess as to not being entirely sure where the bit I visited ended up.

Edit: Google tells me it's Croatia
                Last edited by mudskipper; 23 June 2015, 07:23.

Comment

45 ish, but I was lucky and got Croatia, Bosnia, Serbia and Slovenia after the break-up of Yugoslavia. I didn't count Wales and Scotland, more out of disdain than any geo-political ideas.
                  Last edited by GlenW; 23 June 2015, 07:43.
                  I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Originally posted by GlenW View Post
                    45 ish, but I was lucky and got Croatia, Bosnia, Serbia and Slovenia after the break-up of Yugoslavia. I didn't count Wales and Scotland, more out of disdain than any geo-political ideas.
                    67, but I don't count it if I never got out of the airport; I count countries not nations (the UK is 1 country so I don't count Wales or Scotland or England); I don't count any country more than once (taking the Bosporus ferry from Istanbul to Haydarpasa doesn't score a new country; nor does visiting San Andres, because it is part of Colombia); and I figure if I now count more than 1 for countries that have since split, like Yugoslavia and Sudan, then I don't get to count 2 for Germany.

Comment

Working...
                    X