• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rental advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rental advice

Due to the ongoing crap with my house and needing somewhere bigger/nicer and having no luck selling up.

We have decided to rent something bigger and rent our current place out for a while.

As many of you are captains of industry and btl/slum lords are there any pitfalls to look out for? Or any specific taxation issues to address?

I presume any profit from the rental will have to go on my tax return, but as the property is joint owned would the profit be split between me and the Mrs tax returns?

Originally posted by TheLordDave View Post
    Due to the ongoing crap with my house and needing somewhere bigger/nicer and having no luck selling up.

We have decided to rent something bigger and rent our current place out for a while.

As many of you are captains of industry and btl/slum lords are there any pitfalls to look out for? Or any specific taxation issues to address?

I presume any profit from the rental will have to go on my tax return, but as the property is joint owned would the profit be split between me and the Mrs tax returns?
    Yes
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Concise and to the point, I like it.

Comment

You'll also need to ask for Consent to Let from your lender.

Don't forget that your mortgage interest becomes a business expense. Yes, the net profit is split.

And, since it was your former primary residence, there will be no CGT to pay when you sell.

BTW, where is it? There are ways of selling an unwanted property other than through an estate agent.
        Last edited by RetSet; 23 June 2015, 21:33.

Comment

Originally posted by RetSet View Post
          You'll also need to ask for Consent to Let from your lender.

Don't forget that your mortgage interest becomes a business expense. Yes, the net profit is split.

And, since it was your former primary residence, there will be no CGT to pay when you sell.

BTW, where is it? There are ways of selling an unwanted property other than through an estate agent.
          That bit in bold is wrong, just because it was your former primary residence doesn't mean it's still exempt from CGT. If it is only rented for a short period of time it is likely any CG can be reduced to NIL by various reliefs but not something to rely on.

Martin
          Contratax Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by TheLordDave View Post

Rent you property to you offshore tax haven company for £5 per month. Your offshore company will then let it out at £1200 pm. No tax involved. This is just like HMRC did with their own offices.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
            X