PDA

View Full Version : Transferring number plates

DannyF1966
29th June 2015, 09:42
Has anyone used the online service for this? It started in March apparently. Once I fill in the details to have the plate removed from my car and I get a new log book, can I still drive my car with the plate on it? Or do I need to take it to the dealer and pick up my new car asap?

(Braces self for barrage of abuse re private plates)

tarbera
29th June 2015, 09:51
Has anyone used the online service for this? It started in March apparently. Once I fill in the details to have the plate removed from my car and I get a new log book, can I still drive my car with the plate on it? Or do I need to take it to the dealer and pick up my new car asap?

(Braces self for barrage of abuse re private plates)

I was thinking of buying a M6 with the reg V10 FU mostly for the reg.

stek
29th June 2015, 09:53
I was thinking of buying a M6 with the reg V10 FU mostly for the reg.

That's not right - you mean V1 OFU?

tarbera
29th June 2015, 10:00
That's not right - you mean V1 OFU?

Don't think so

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201506164368574?atmobcid=soc4

SimonMac
29th June 2015, 10:03
Don't think so

BMW M6 5.0 V10 SMG 2dr (http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201506164368574?atmobcid=soc4)

V10 FU is not a valid reg, if plod are feeling annoyed on any day they stop you with that plate you will get fined and points

The Spartan
29th June 2015, 10:14
V10 FU is not a valid reg, if plod are feeling annoyed on any day they stop you with that plate you will get fined and points

I find they mostly ignore illegal plates there are plenty up by me, mine are legal (correctly displayed according to the law) and it really frustrates me that they don't crack down on those that aren't.

stek
29th June 2015, 12:03
I used to have A6000 FO (A600 OFO really) - never got stopped but it was some years ago. They do stop people on Traffic Cops on telly!

Also read somewhere about this chap who had his number place in Roman numerals because it doesn't (or didn't) actually state you have to use our (Arabic?) numbers.

BrilloPad
29th June 2015, 14:36
I find they mostly ignore illegal plates there are plenty up by me, mine are legal (correctly displayed according to the law) and it really frustrates me that they don't crack down on those that aren't.

Have you got nothing better to worry about?

If anything, illegal plates should be encouraged as they are more memorable.

The Spartan
30th June 2015, 07:06
Have you got nothing better to worry about?

If anything, illegal plates should be encouraged as they are more memorable.

That's right Brillo first world problems :laugh

minestrone
30th June 2015, 09:42
Illegal plates are a pain in the arse, they mess about with a lot of ANPR systems which is a pain in the arse for me, folk putting little dots on the screw caps and stuff to make 11 into H and crap like that.

Plod could quite easily come down on this hard, they ANPR just about everywhere now, validate the registration formatting, letters sent out, car seen again without change and 100 quid fine.

Nice little earner for them.

vetran
30th June 2015, 09:44
Illegal plates are a pain in the arse, they mess about with a lot of ANPR systems which is a pain in the arse for me, folk putting little dots on the screw caps and stuff to make 11 into H and crap like that.

Plod could quite easily come down on this hard, they ANPR just about everywhere now, validate the registration formatting, letters sent out, car seen again without change and 100 quid fine.

Indeed not sure why they don't do it, they could probably crush about half the Range Rovers, BMWs & Audis on the road.

BrilloPad
30th June 2015, 09:46

Why? :confused:

:eek:

SimonMac
30th June 2015, 09:46

Although if the plate is not valid, ANPR would struggle to identify it, its one of the reasons that the law states they must conform to a certain standard is so they can be read automatically.

BrilloPad
30th June 2015, 09:48
Indeed not sure why they don't do it, they could probably crush about half the Range Rovers, BMWs & Audis on the road.

+1

Preferably with the drivers inside.

Though I feel sorry for my sister and her husband. Driving audis for about 30 years now. When audis were sensible drivers. Though its about time they learnt their lesson and got nice cars.

BrilloPad
30th June 2015, 09:49
Although if the plate is not valid, ANPR would struggle to identify it, its one of the reasons that the law states they must conform to a certain standard is so they can be read automatically.

They often have checks at places like Bluewater. Where there are a lot of personalized plates. Presumably if the equipment could not read the plate then they would be pulled over?

SimonMac
30th June 2015, 09:55
They often have checks at places like Bluewater. Where there are a lot of personalized plates. Presumably if the equipment could not read the plate then they would be pulled over?

At Leeds festival weekend plod sit on the roundabout on the A64 which they turn into a one way street towards the site, 100 yards up the road there is a pub with a few vans and motorbikes waiting pulling over one in ten cars who don't have insurance, tax or some outstanding warrant

minestrone
30th June 2015, 09:56

The police will have some crazily good ANPR system they threw millions at that will work it out.

It's the noddy ones that I have to work with that struggle.

vetran
30th June 2015, 09:59
they really need to get a car transporter (for the ones to be crushed), prison van (for the ones with outstanding warrants) find a pub or similar (they use the Bingo hall in Slough) on a bus route and just stop any dodgy cars on the way to work. They would do a roaring trade. Just make sure I'm on the bike that morning.

minestrone
30th June 2015, 10:07
Why? :confused:

Just work with ANPR quite a bit, a lot of small businesses do as well and crappy registrations cause either a loss in efficiency or paying over the odds for a system than can deal effectively with them.

minestrone
30th June 2015, 10:16

The processing will be done on a server which will no doubt include the call to the DVLAs web service to validate the registration is real and check where it was last seen, that will be there main concern.

Car thieves look at autotrader to find the exact same model type and colour then just copy that registration and stick it on a stolen car. That is why a lot of dealerships cover up the registrations on their cars.

BrilloPad
30th June 2015, 14:38
Just work with ANPR quite a bit, a lot of small businesses do as well and crappy registrations cause either a loss in efficiency or paying over the odds for a system than can deal effectively with them.

Interesting then that the police system works - so they don't bother enforcing the law!

vetran
30th June 2015, 14:51

you mean your customers are cowboy clampers?

BrilloPad
30th June 2015, 14:56

I hope there is no dispute with them! They might just send the boys round.....

minestrone
30th June 2015, 15:22

How dare you!

But that is one of the big uses of the technology, also a lot of companies secretly track workers cars coming in and out of the car park and marry that up to what hours they are meant to do.

There is a lot of stuff going on about tracking cars going into shopping centres, supermarkets and the like, selling analysis of that data, they like to follow our little cars about as much as they like to follow us with our phones and cards.