• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The end of Buy To Let?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The end of Buy To Let?

In the name of fairness

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/dms...money.com/news

An official report today attacks the growing army of private landlords for 'artificially' driving up prices and distorting local housing markets.

The report, from the Housing, Planning, Local Government and the Regions Select Committee, urges the Government to take action. It says that local authorities could be given 'additional powers' to make sure only family houses, not the flats preferred by buy-to-let investors, are built.

It will today announce plans to launch a separate inquiry into the country's rental market which will take a close look at the buy-to-let market. One of the toughest options would be to ban homes from being sold to investors.

However, Nigel Terrington, chief executive of buy-to-let experts Paragon Group, criticised the report's findings.

Huge numbers of immigrants and a rising student population mean that many more people need to rent, he said.

Here come the Romanians!

Don't think so! After all this anti-immigrant campaign targeted towards Romanians, I don't think that many high-skilled and with some dosh in their pockets will come here. The low skilled will come anyway and I reckon they will not rent some posh flat in London (I've heard about Romanians living 8 together in a house... ). Plus they want to send money back in order to buy property, FFS prices doubled in Romania over the past 3 years!!!
    So forget about the great buy-to-let bright future...

HTH
    The rest is silence...

Comment

Originally posted by Viktor
      Don't think so! After all this anti-immigrant campaign targeted towards Romanians, I don't think that many high-skilled and with some dosh in their pockets will come here. The low skilled will come anyway ...
      HTH
      Classic description of what's wrong with UK immigration policy. Instead of having a valid points entry system, why not let in all the riff-raff
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

(I've heard about Romanians living 8 together in a house... ).
        Most aborigens on this board are out of touch with reality and should learn some 3rd world foreign language to witness themselves ads advertising room sharing for 2. For a foreigner who came here renting a room in 4-5 bedroom house is pretty much the only option and it will remain so for most of them.

Effect of immigration on house bubble is highly overrated, but greed and stupidity of people who take on more debt is underrated.

Comment

Oh no!!! and I've just gone a bought a shop with a flat!! Oh no!!! What have I done? I wish I listened to AtW!!! Oh woe is me. I'm such a fool. If only I had 50p for the meter and a tin of cold beans. Oh woe is me.

MF in 'No Sarcasm tag required for this one' Mode.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
            An official report today attacks the growing army of private landlords for 'artificially' driving up prices and distorting local housing markets.

The report, from the Housing, Planning, Local Government and the Regions Select Committee, urges the Government to take action. It says that local authorities could be given 'additional powers' to make sure only family houses, not the flats preferred by buy-to-let investors, are built.

It will today announce plans to launch a separate inquiry into the country's rental market which will take a close look at the buy-to-let market. One of the toughest options would be to ban homes from being sold to investors.
            Never mind the Romanians, here comes the Government interfering again. I rent at the moment. Does the Govt take it as read that I shouldn't be able to? Where would I rent from if there were no landlords?

Or am I just missing the plan, that the rich should own, and the poor can live off the state?

Comment

Originally posted by expat
              Never mind the Romanians, here comes the Government interfering again. I rent at the moment. Does the Govt take it as read that I shouldn't be able to? Where would I rent from if there were no landlords?

Or am I just missing the plan, that the rich should own, and the poor can live off the state?
              Not quite - the rich can own provided that they pay for the poor to own or they pay the Government so they can own and rent to the poor

Comment

What a load of tosh:

1) The government changed planning rules to force developers to build more flats because council planning officers complained that the green belt was being gobbled up by developers only wanting to build more profitable, edge of town, executive detached properties with large gardens.

2) If there are no 'investors' buying properties, where are all the people who can't afford (or don't want) to buy their own house supposed to live?

tim

Comment

Don't think so! After all this anti-immigrant campaign targeted towards Romanians, I don't think that many high-skilled and with some dosh in their pockets will come here. The low skilled will come anyway and I reckon they will not rent some posh flat in London (I've heard about Romanians living 8 together in a house... ). Plus they want to send money back in order to buy property, FFS prices doubled in Romania over the past 3 years!!!
                  So forget about the great buy-to-let bright future...

HTH
                  Yeah we've got 9 romanians living in a 2 bed flat in our block.

They've just been evicted after living there for a month.
                  Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Working...
                  X