PDA

View Full Version : Anyone who hasn't got a BTL get one!

SimonMac
30th June 2015, 09:52
Trying to find a suitable house to rent as need a bigger one, and my god it is a pain in the arse! Last viewing there was 5 people booked in for the same 15 minute slot, office was closed and couldn't put in an application until 9am Monday morning. Cheated and emailed as I left the viewing on Saturday afternoon and still didn't get it quick enough!

Advert went up yesterday on a place I like, got a viewing on Friday, ring them up speculativly today to see if we can put the application in without seeing the inside (very good photos on the website) and someone is there now already! Fired off an application form (as I am currently renting through the same agency hoping to bypass the system).

I knew there was a housing shortage in the south east, but didn't know it was like this in the rest of the UK!

My BTL is rented out to my ex and the kids, so never had to deal with vying tenants & agents etc. but it has been a real eye opener on the whole process and how desperate some people are to rent a decent house

JRCT
30th June 2015, 09:56
I moved house a month ago and the old one will be offered as a rental in about a week. A friend came to look at it, but it was too small for his family and he told me he viewed another the week before and was one of 26 that turned up on the day, queueing on the pavement for 2 hours just to view it.

Incredible.

CloudWalker
30th June 2015, 10:29
The reason their is a housing shortage is because of the "Buy to Let" situation.
Young couples who are trying to buy their first home are having to compete with foreign property investors and pension rich baby boomers who are inflating housing crisis.

rl4engc
30th June 2015, 10:38
And just to state the bleeding obvious, if I hadn't gone contracting back in 2007, I'd either be renting still, or paying a mortgage on some tiny horrible modern home. As it is, mortgage will be paid off this year. :)

It's a sad state of affairs when you need to be earning so much, just to buy a half decent semi-detatched house say. :/

alphadog
30th June 2015, 10:41
Trying to find a suitable house to rent as need a bigger one, and my god it is a pain in the arse! Last viewing there was 5 people booked in for the same 15 minute slot, office was closed and couldn't put in an application until 9am Monday morning. Cheated and emailed as I left the viewing on Saturday afternoon and still didn't get it quick enough!

Advert went up yesterday on a place I like, got a viewing on Friday, ring them up speculativly today to see if we can put the application in without seeing the inside (very good photos on the website) and someone is there now already! Fired off an application form (as I am currently renting through the same agency hoping to bypass the system).

I knew there was a housing shortage in the south east, but didn't know it was like this in the rest of the UK!

My BTL is rented out to my ex and the kids, so never had to deal with vying tenants & agents etc. but it has been a real eye opener on the whole process and how desperate some people are to rent a decent house

Whereabouts are you looking for a rental property? Yorkshire?

unixman
30th June 2015, 10:47
Another factor strongly driving BTL is the non existance of / collapse of the pensions industry.

MarillionFan
30th June 2015, 10:53
The reason their is a housing shortage is because of the "Buy to Let" situation.
Young couples who are trying to buy their first home are having to compete with foreign property investors and pension rich baby boomers who are inflating housing crisis.

Diddums.

http://m.memegen.com/9nrbhi.jpg

SimonMac
30th June 2015, 11:08
Whereabouts are you looking for a rental property? Yorkshire?

Yep, West Yorkshire

MarillionFan
30th June 2015, 11:14
Yep, West Yorkshire

Can't you move in with your Cousins, Aunts, Brother, their parents and their grandparents and their 30 children just like everyone else who lives in Yorkshire.

SimonMac
30th June 2015, 11:20
Can't you move in with your Cousins, Aunts, Brother, their parents and their grandparents and their 30 children just like everyone else who lives in Yorkshire.

No room for the whippets

alphadog
30th June 2015, 11:20
Yep, West Yorkshire

Blimey, I didn't realise that Halifax/Huddersfield/Bradford has a desperate housing problem like London does.

TheFaQQer
30th June 2015, 11:21
Yep, West Yorkshire

I know of a large Victorian property that might be available for sale soon in Todmorden.

Graveyard included, property needs a little work :)

TheLordDave
30th June 2015, 11:29
I'm having the same In Wales. Had a viewing canceled as the house was taken as I was parked outside for my viewing. Very frustrating.

Pondlife
30th June 2015, 11:40
I'm having the same In Wales. Had a viewing canceled as the house was taken as I was parked outside for my viewing. Very frustrating.

Whereabouts in Wales?

SimonMac
30th June 2015, 11:44
Blimey, I didn't realise that Halifax/Huddersfield/Bradford has a desperate housing problem like London does.

Power house of the North!

SimonMac
30th June 2015, 11:44
I know of a large Victorian property that might be available for sale soon in Todmorden.

Erm, i'll pass, too lazy to run a project myself, and letting MrsMac do it will bankrupt me

eek
30th June 2015, 11:51

Bet you are glad your found a greater fool....

tractor
30th June 2015, 13:13
Diddums.

http://m.memegen.com/9nrbhi.jpg

I still remember the early naughties when you couldn't go into a London bar without a pin-stripey wide boy theatrically looking at his watch and proclaiming how much his house had 'made' over the last two hours :)

Then, after the crash, every financial forum was full of said wannabes crying over their negative equity and begging for tips on how to get out :laugh I expect MF was one of those.

Hard to see that happening again anytime soon, which is a crying shame.

BrilloPad
30th June 2015, 13:17
A trader bought a tin of sardines for his lunch - it cost 50p. Another trader fancied them so offered him 75p. Another one bid a pound.

Seeing the price was going up they outbid each other - finally someone paid £50!

When he opened the tin the sardines were bad.

Who suffers the loss?

:rolleyes:

vetran
30th June 2015, 13:22
A trader bought a tin of sardines for his lunch - it cost 50p. Another trader fancied them so offered him 75p. Another one bid a pound.

Seeing the price was going up they outbid each other - finally someone paid £50!

Who suffers the loss?

who cares they are all traders they can afford it.

BrilloPad
30th June 2015, 13:26
who cares they are all traders

:laugh

In the 90s I bought some BTLs in Burnley. Great fun - wild swings in income. Ended up getting building society rates.

People need to be careful what they buy. Get a house, if its worth nothing you still have a house. Get a BTL, if its worth nothing then you have nothing.

MarillionFan
30th June 2015, 13:30
I still remember the early naughties when you couldn't go into a London bar without a pin-stripey wide boy theatrically looking at his watch and proclaiming how much his house had 'made' over the last two hours :)

Then, after the crash, every financial forum was full of said wannabes crying over their negative equity and begging for tips on how to get out :laugh I expect MF was one of those.

Hard to see that happening again anytime soon, which is a crying shame.

Nah. My houses were OK as I'd bought much earler, it was the 50k in cash I put into the stockmarket that someone told me was better than BTL that had me blubbing into my cappuchino.

SimonMac
30th June 2015, 13:30

Who suffers the loss?

I don't think the sardines are too happy given they are dead now

SimonMac
30th June 2015, 13:31
Nah. My houses were OK as I'd bought much earler, it was the 50k in cash I put into the stockmarket that someone told me was better than BTL that had me blubbing into my cappuchino.

Don't mention stocks, watching my SIPP over the past two days has been painful!

BrilloPad
30th June 2015, 13:31

But that 50k - you did get £5k back! Shame you invested it in sledges....

MarillionFan
30th June 2015, 13:35
Don't mention stocks, watching my SIPP over the past two days has been painful!

Good buying opportunity.

But that 50k - you did get £5k back! Shame you invested it in sledges....

I day traded 20k back over the next year and carried the capital losses over for years, eventually offsetting again my BTLS when I sold them a few years later. Still lost overall though.

BrilloPad
30th June 2015, 13:39
I day traded 20k back over the next year and carried the capital losses over for years, eventually offsetting again my BTLS when I sold them a few years later. Still lost overall though.

Up until that last sentence I thought it was a sasguru post! You are supposed to lie.....

tractor
30th June 2015, 13:44
Good buying opportunity.

So your poorly disguised mirth over the miserable lot of today's house buyer is steeped in chagrin, not regular cock-crowing over the less well off.

I forgive you then.

MarillionFan
30th June 2015, 13:48
So your poorly disguised mirth over the miserable lot of today's house buyer is steeped in chagrin, not regular cock-crowing over the less well off.

I forgive you then.

No! I got back in a few years back.

I've got three BTL's now as well as my own and I'm just remortgaging to buy a few more. The more people I can keep off the ladder the better.

http://i.imgur.com/ADKQcqn.gif

TheLordDave
30th June 2015, 14:55
Whereabouts in Wales?

South Wales, Newport area.

MicrosoftBob
30th June 2015, 15:03

Goldie Looking Chain territory :eek

DimPrawn
30th June 2015, 17:39

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eijc2tGe-zM

TheLordDave
30th June 2015, 20:11
Goldie Looking Chain territory :eek

Indeed, look for fresh prince of Cwmbran by glc. That's where I actually live. It really does the place justice.

MarillionFan
1st July 2015, 09:45

Anyway, why don't you just buy another house.

Heatmap of UK property values - Zoopla (http://www.zoopla.co.uk/heatmaps/)

Great average price heat map here.

SimonMac
1st July 2015, 09:46
Anyway, why don't you just buy another house.

Heatmap of UK property values - Zoopla (http://www.zoopla.co.uk/heatmaps/)

Great average price heat map here.

You are a contractor, what are you doing thinking about "average"

Oh thats right, you went permie now, sorry about that