• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BBQ weather

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBQ weather

Any old excise to plug the blog (aka plan B and a way of killing time while still benched) really.

Kitchen Exile: Chinese sticky ribs with star anise marinade

Kitchen Exile: Grilled Lamb Koftes

Kitchen Exile: Chorizo style pulled pork
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Yes dear, I'm going to nandos for dinner tonight

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
      Any old excise to plug the blog (aka plan B and a way of killing time while still benched) really.

Kitchen Exile: Chinese sticky ribs with star anise marinade

Kitchen Exile: Grilled Lamb Koftes

Kitchen Exile: Chorizo style pulled pork
      Was thinking of buying a Big Green Egg barbeque, as someone (pondlife?) mentioned it.

Would you recommend it, or are there better ones IYHO ?
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        Was thinking of buying a Big Green Egg barbeque, as someone (pondlife?) mentioned it.

Would you recommend it, or are there better ones IYHO ?
        She won a national championship (in Tulipland) for her skill with the Big Green Egg a few weeks ago - I think she'd probably recommend it

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          She won a national championship (in Tulipland) for her skill with the Big Green Egg a few weeks ago - I think she'd probably recommend it
          I've won another since then at the Big Green Egg festival as well.

Definitely recommend it, it's the best thing ever. My fault Pondy ended up buying one. They are expensive but worth every penny. I hardly use the oven to cook meat and fish any more and you can use it all year round. Buy the large one, if you're going to get one as the grill size is about 46cm. You can also use them for smoking and long slow cooking, it keeps to temp for hours.

Here's another article on me blog on getting started with an egg and what accessories and books that are useful Kitchen Exile: BBQing - just a guy thing?
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
            I've won another since then at the Big Green Egg festival as well.

Definitely recommend it, it's the best thing ever. My fault Pondy ended up buying one. They are expensive but worth every penny. I hardly use the oven to cook meat and fish any more and you can use it all year round. Buy the large one, if you're going to get one as the grill size is about 46cm. You can also use them for smoking and long slow cooking, it keeps to temp for hours.

Here's another article on me blog on getting started with an egg and what accessories and books that are useful Kitchen Exile: BBQing - just a guy thing?
            Tis true. One bucket of charcoal will keep it going for 12+ hours at a slow cooking temp or you can open the vents and get professional pizza oven heat.

You can cook anything on it and once it's at temp you can just check every hour or so (or get a wireless thermometer and sit outside drinking). The temp just stays where it should be after a little practise so there's no worrying.

Comment

I'm sure it's a stupid question, but if you're using it all year then it's in the kitchen? How do you ventilate it and what chimney?

I've only ever done the classic Brit barbecue thing now and then so I haven't a clue other than liking good barbecue cooking

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                I'm sure it's a stupid question, but if you're using it all year then it's in the kitchen? How do you ventilate it and what chimney?

I've only ever done the classic Brit barbecue thing now and then so I haven't a clue other than liking good barbecue cooking
                It's outside but it's pretty weather proof and since you cook with the lid closed your food doesn't get wet.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                  It's outside but it's pretty weather proof and since you cook with the lid closed your food doesn't get wet.
                  Ah I see, so go out with a golf umbrella job, that makes sense then. Won't it try to rust though (the barbecue, not the umbrella)?
                  Last edited by TykeMerc; 30 June 2015, 20:21. Reason: clarity required

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                    Ah I see, so go out with a golf umbrella job, that makes sense then. Won't it try to rust though (the barbecue, not the umbrella)?
                    Its a ceramic BBQ and not metal apart from the vents. Big Green Egg | Ceramic Barbecue, best BBQs for Sale | Buy Smoker BBQ

I've BBQ'd in thunderstorms with nary a problem. Retains the heat really well.

If I land another contract I'm buying another one.

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                    X