• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone want an oil burner?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone want an oil burner?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/...-burn-oil.html

That's a petrol engined oil burner, not a diesel.

For dear old freako of immortal memory, this relates to the septics complaining about excessive oil consumption.

A quart (even a septic quart) seems a lot every 700 miles or so.

Newer cars aren't supposed to burn oil, but Consumer Reports magazine found that some engines mainly from Audi, BMW and Subaru force their owners to add a quart as often as once a month.

In the magazine's annual survey of car owners, significant numbers reported what the magazine considered to be excessive oil consumption. Consumer Reports focused on 2010 to 2014 models and called on automakers to make repairs under the powertrain warranty or to extend warranties.

"The companies should be willing to step up and take responsibility for their products," said Mark Rechtin, the magazine's cars content team leader.

Owners of newer cars, he said, shouldn't have to carry oil around and worry about adding it. Most cars, he said, have dashboard lights warning drivers if their oil gets too low. But failing to pay attention to that light eventually can cause engine damage. The magazine's survey didn't find any link between oil consumption and other engine problems, but it found that cars that burn oil early consume more as they age.

It's normal for cars to burn oil a little oil as they age toward 100,000 miles, the magazine said in its August issue. But for a late-model car to burn a quart or more between changes is not acceptable, Rechtin said.

The magazine focused on survey data from 498,000 owners of 2010 to 2014 models, finding that 98 percent did not have to add oil between changes. But even if the problem happens to only 2 percent of owners, that equals 1.5 million cars from the five model years, Rechtin said.

Several engines from the three manufacturers were the main offenders, according to the magazine, including Audi's 2.0-liter turbocharged four cylinder and 3.0-liter V6; BMW's 4.8 liter V8 and 4.4 liter twin-turbo V8; and Subaru's 3.6 liter six-cylinder and 2.0- and 2.5-liter four-cylinder engines.

The Subarus burned less oil than the others.

Affected models include Audi's A3, A4, A5, A6 and Q5; BMW's 5, 6, and 7 Series and X5; and the Subaru Outback, Legacy, Forester and Impreza.

The magazine says that standards for certain Audi and BMW cars say that it's reasonable to burn a quart of oil every 600 to 700 miles.

Subaru considers one quart burned for every 1,000 to 1,200 miles to be acceptable, Consumer Reports said.

Audi spokesman Bradley Stertz said a class action lawsuit against Audi over oil consumption by the 2.0-Liter turbocharged four-cylinder engines is close to being settled without the company admitting liability or wrongdoing.

The settlement affects 2009 A4, 2010 A4 and A5, and 2011 A4, A5 and Q5 models. With the other models, Audi hasn't been able to identify an abnormal number of oil consumption complaints on the other models, he said.

Subaru spokesman Michael McHale said oil consumption can vary depending on how a vehicle is used. The vast majority of Subarus, he said, performed within specifications, and the company's vehicles have improved from 2010 through the current models.

Messages were left for a BMW spokesman.
    ISTR that the Big Blue ZeitVolvo used to use about half a gallon a week.

The underbody never rusted though.
    Last edited by zeitghost; 8 June 2017, 12:43.

I saw some ponce in a big BMW X5 (?) last week, throwing loads of white smoke out, probably a cylinder head gasket gone and he'd soon be staring at a bill for £5k or so knowing BMW.

I did stifle a giggle from my trusty 182,000 mile iron steed, that needs no oil top-ups between changes.
    Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
    "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

My S2000 used to get through about 1/2 a litre every 1000 miles, which is about normal. GT86 doesn't seem to use any.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

A mates RX8 (231bhp) used 1l every 1,000 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by anonymouse View Post
          A mates RX8 (231bhp) used 1l every 1,000 miles.
          Rotary, they are designed to use oil. Unfortunately dippy owners don't realise, hence why RX8s are so cheap and have such a bad reputation.

Comment

Originally posted by amoeba View Post
            Rotary, they are designed to use oil. Unfortunately dippy owners don't realise, hence why RX8s are so cheap and have such a bad reputation.
            And petrol by the tanker load. And engine rebuilds.

Nice cars, and if anything they have a good reputation amongst petrol heads. It's just that few people are stupid enough to own one.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by amoeba View Post
              My RX8 consumed about 1 litre every 1500 or 2000 miles, as it was designed to do. Superb drive and I kept it for 7 years with zero mechanical problems. Stories of rabid oil consumption are an Internet meme only, and in fact a quick way to tell if a reviewer actually did any research was if he put "eats oil rigs whole!" into the review. If he did, you knew he never even skim-read the Mazda press release, and just repeated the internet meme instead. I believe one UK magazine does not even drive the cars it "reviews" (hunch only).

Engine rebuilds and rotor tip wear stories similar nonsense. Associated only with high mileage RX7s and never the RX8 to my knowledge.

Petrol consumption about 24 MPG average - fairly heavy but comparable with cars of the same class (in 2004). And it was unleaded not premium, so 10% or so cheaper. Fuel tank was small though.

Proper and I mean proper handling. And seeing the rev counter charge past 8000 was slightly orgasmic. I banged it to 9500 on a regular basis and might have even got 10k on a couple of occasions, or that might just have been the rev counter...

Comment

Mind blowing emissions from rotary engines means, unless some yet unknown technical breakthrough is made, the RX8 will be the last mass produced el ever made.

From that perspective I think everyone should own one for a while to piss of the global warming brigade.

Comment

It's absolutely astonishing that these oil guzzlers are still being sold new.

I thought they went out with manual starter handles, and that modern cars used about a thimble full of oil every 10K miles!

Could it be a manufacturers' wheeze to increase the chance of unwary owners wearing out their engines prematurely and having to buy a newer car?
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I can vouch for the Ford Ka not needing oil for at least several thousand miles. Somebody i used to work with drove with the oil warning light on, so I checked the oil level for her, the dipstick didn't register any oil in the sump.

Comment

Working...
                    X