• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You want fries with that degree?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You want fries with that degree?

Well you might well in some places:

Graduate jobs: The best and worst cities to find a graduate job in the UK - Cambridge, Guildford and Reading are top spots, but London fails to make the grade | City A.M.

Proud to see that Swansea came 8th worst.

Odd that.

Exactly what are they measuring there.

It seems to be graduate job opportunities / graduations in that town....

Which by any standards is an utterly crap measure...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Exactly what are they measuring there.

It seems to be graduate job opportunities / graduations in that town....

Which by any standards is an utterly crap measure...
      Not unlike most published by the government/mainstream media.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
        Doesn't that just mean in the North you need actual skills to do a job, rather than just a bit of paper and £40k worth of debt
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I used to work oop north for British Gas, not long after it was invented. The technical ability of the northerners demonstrably exceeded that of our colleagues in and around London. The reason seemed to be that BG was the best employer in the North, and so attracted the best people from round about. Around London, there were far better rates of pay on offer, so the best people went elsewhere.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

If you are in Salford travelling to Manchester isn't a big struggle.

In fact if you do end up with that graduate job in Salford you were probably looking in Manchester anyway....
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

0.09 jobseekers per job?! That puts the 200 jobseekers per job in context when a new poundland opens.

Must be a massive skills shortage for non-menial work.
              Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
              "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
                0.09 jobseekers per job?! That puts the 200 jobseekers per job in context when a new poundland opens.

Must be a massive skills shortage for non-menial work.
                It depends on the jobseeker, someone with a meeja studies degree is more likely to be chasing one of the poundland jobs than someone with a STEM degree
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I would think the most important things would be the prestige of the university and the course itself. If you graduate with a first in just about any subject from Oxbridge, it's not like you'll struggle for work in most of the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
                    I would think the most important things would be the prestige of the university and the course itself. If you graduate with a first in just about any subject from Oxbridge, it's not like you'll struggle for work in most of the UK.
                    As a computing graduate I applied for a software engineering job at a consultancy along with a friend of mine who did Physics at Cambridge. He got the job, I didn't even get an interview despite me having all the relevant knowledge and experience and him having very little. For a consultancy especially I imagine having an Oxbridge graduate on the books is worth a lot more than a Kent University graduate, no matter what their degree is in.

Not that I'm bitter.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X