PDA

View Full Version : That third runway

EternalOptimist
1st July 2015, 10:01
What's it all about ?

Are there any limp wristed, shandy drinking, southern gaylords who could give me a quick précis on whats it all abahhht

eek
1st July 2015, 10:04
What's it all about ?

Are there any limp wristed, shandy drinking, southern gaylords who could give me a quick précis on whats it all abahhht

The locals don't want it at Heathrow as its an insane location. The owners of heathrow (now no longer the owners of gatwick) want it at heathrow...

Personally it should be at Boris Island with Heathrow used to provide space to expand London (links are already in place) you just need to add tower blocks...

minestrone
1st July 2015, 10:10
The locals don't want it at Heathrow as its an insane location. The owners of heathrow (now no longer the owners of gatwick) want it at heathrow...

Personally it should be at Boris Island with Heathrow used to provide space to expand London (links are already in place) you just need to add tower blocks...

And immigrants.

SimonMac
1st July 2015, 10:13
It seems daft that there are three small airpoirts for London (4 if you include London Luton), when one hub which is specifically built of the purpose would be better, yes it would be expensive, but no more than HS2.

Its impressive what LHR can do with 2 runways, 73m passangers a year (third busiest) when most of the others in the top 5 have 4/5 runways already

VectraMan
1st July 2015, 10:45
It seems daft that there are three small airpoirts for London (4 if you include London Luton),

5 if you include London Oxford Airport.:rolleyes:

Surely the people of West London get no sleep anyway, or at least have learned to sleep through the noise/have gone deaf. So why does it matter if there's a third runway?

BrilloPad
1st July 2015, 11:00
Heathrow needs more capacity to get new flights to John Lennon Airport.

HTH

oscarose
1st July 2015, 11:02
Hopefully this won't be needed now and will help save the planet is some small way. The recent increase in global terrorists will no doubt decrease demand further. I've already committed to not fly again (mainly for green reasons) or go overseas (I rather not risk been captured and taken hostage somewhere).

Better to explore the beauty on your own doorstep.

:o

FatLazyContractor
1st July 2015, 11:08
I think the third runway should be exclusively for us rich contractors who use private flights. :smokin

Chuck
1st July 2015, 11:11
Surely the people of West London get no sleep anyway, or at least have learned to sleep through the noise/have gone deaf. So why does it matter if there's a third runway?

It's true, you do get used to the planes. However it will also bring hundreds of thousands of new people closer to a flight path.

Perhaps the worst thing of all though is all those planes flying directly over the city. Who in their right mind, with terrorists looking to blow the infidels to pieces, would put more planes over a population centre?

I'm amazed it hasn't happened already. One man, with a SAM on his shoulder, as a fully loaded 747 takes off to the East, could wipe out thousands.

vetran
1st July 2015, 11:21
It's true, you do get used to the planes. However it will also bring hundreds of thousands of new people closer to a flight path.

Perhaps the worst thing of all though is all those planes flying directly over the city. Who in their right mind, with terrorists looking to blow the infidels to pieces, would put more planes over a population centre?

I'm amazed it hasn't happened already. One man, with a SAM on his shoulder, as a fully loaded 747 takes off to the East, could wipe out thousands.

they tried it a couple of years ago

agree its madness.

they should build a properly designed HUB airport somewhere sensible.

BrilloPad
1st July 2015, 11:57
I think the third runway should be exclusively for us rich contractors who use private flights. :smokin

You are thinking of Northholt. But if you did not know that, AYCOTBAC?

HTH

vetran
1st July 2015, 12:01

HTH

Northolt is for Squaddies and Terrorists suffering rendition.

Paddy
1st July 2015, 12:09
I used to live under the flight path of an airport. I chose to do so and never complained even when the runway was extended. Those near Heathrow chose to live near the airport so they should shut up or move. In fact I am looking to move near Heathrow.

Apart from Heathrow, the other options for expansion are no good for people living SW of London, they may as well fly from a local airport to a European hub rather than going to other so-called London airports.

Eirikur
1st July 2015, 12:09

Luton
Stansted
Southend
Gatwick
City
Oxford (hardly any scheduled flights at all, they try adding new flights all the time but all the operators go bust after a couple of flights)

Personally I would say the Boris Island is the best idea else expand Gatwick or even Stansted
Expanding Heathrow is just utter madness

FatLazyContractor
1st July 2015, 12:12

HTH

:facepalm:

CloudWalker
1st July 2015, 12:31
"Build it, and they will come"

PurpleGorilla
1st July 2015, 12:39

6 if you include London City

7 if you include London Manston Airport.

The island makes no sense, arrival and departure flows are too close to the UK airspace.

darmstadt
1st July 2015, 12:41
Its all part of the plan....

Airstrip One - Formally called England. This term demonstrates Orwell's distain for American influence Europe. It seems that Oceania (America, England, South America, Australia) looks upon Britain as little more than an ‘airstrip’ ... a launching ground into the European theater of war. It appears that Orwell was predicting the minor role that England would play in the global politics of the future.

Owned by Spaniards I believe: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrovial

VectraMan
1st July 2015, 12:46
7 if you include London Manston Airport.

You're making that one up.

PurpleGorilla
1st July 2015, 13:17
You're making that one up.

I am, it went bust in 2014.

There is London South End Airport though...

EternalOptimist
1st July 2015, 14:09
I used to live under the flight path of an airport. I chose to do so and never complained even when the runway was extended.

I always wondered why they don't site deaf people near airports. Then you might house all the poor sighted in Hull , the ones with no sense of smell near Birmingham. The culturally gifted genteel folk would all move to Liverpool of course.

minestrone
1st July 2015, 14:10
If it was simcity I would build an island.

vetran
1st July 2015, 14:12
If it was London I would build an island.

Love Boris

FTFY

unixman
1st July 2015, 15:59
Heathrow. Let's put the new runway somewhere crowded and with terrible transport links.

Anywhere really, so long as all the money gets spent in the south east.