• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

For anyone who has ever been burned by a COTS Solution :)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For anyone who has ever been burned by a COTS Solution :)

This is almost too close to the truth to be funny ...

https://youtu.be/jZZ0MUPW5MU
    Contract Tester
    "I spent 90% of my money on women and drink. The rest I wasted" George Best - 1946 - 2005

Originally posted by ContractTester View Post
    This is almost too close to the truth to be funny ...

https://youtu.be/jZZ0MUPW5MU
    Trust me, it's not only the government that gets burned...

Can't post the pic cos it's copyright
    Last edited by tractor; 2 July 2015, 02:00.

Comment

Originally posted by ContractTester View Post
      For anyone who has ever been burned by a COTS Solution
      Never been burned - but I've made a lot of money from people like that
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

i've made a bloody *career* out of it! the companies that sell it, the companies that buy it and the companies that implement it all need help and i'm here to do what i can.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          Never been burned - but I've made a lot of money from people like that

'Out of the box' = KERCHING!!
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

depends if you choose the right box and the right people opening the box.

having seen both I have had big wins with both.

seen some massive failures as well.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              depends if you choose the right box and the right people opening the box.

having seen both I have had big wins with both.

seen some massive failures as well.
              Companies who buy COTS usually have "best practice" somewhere in their tender requirements.

Often, they fail to align their processes and want the package changed

Instead of firing the people who make the decisions/spend the money, they cry and blame and struggle, then often start all over again making the same mistakes.

Keep invoicing and try not to smile too much!

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
                Companies who buy COTS usually have "best practice" somewhere in their tender requirements.

Often, they fail to align their processes and want the package changed

Instead of firing the people who make the decisions/spend the money, they cry and blame and struggle, then often start all over again making the same mistakes.

Keep invoicing and try not to smile too much!
                They also seem to avoid reading any documentation or best practice recommendations for transferring data.

spot on!
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  They also seem to avoid reading any documentation or best practice recommendations for transferring data.

spot on!
                  To be fair regarding the documentation though, most of it is gobbledegook, even for another techie because the vendor usually has it's devs write the docs and they do it from their silo because they are only allowed to develop 5 lines at a time , rarely is any of it coherent and to find anyone who has an overview from a client/configurator perspective is usually an impossibility and the salesman always left the day before you hand the cheque over.

Hear what you say about data capture, cleanse and ETL though, this is often their last consideration when it should be one of the requirements artefacts.

I also have to say that I have found one or two exceptions to the rule though.

Comment

Working...
                  X