• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do You Show Enough Deference at Work?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do You Show Enough Deference at Work?

I tend to talk to people at work the same as I would anyone else.

I sometimes get the feeling, though, that some people don't like this. People who are in nominally superior positions; the feeling I get from them is that I am not metaphorically doffing the cap as much as I should be.

Seems to be more prevalent in bigger organisations with more politics....

The only thing I change depending on who I talk to is the level of swearing.
    Respect is shown where people have earned it not, because of a job title.
    Growing old is mandatory
    Growing up is optional

Comment

There got to be some banter - and it has to be two way.
      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Yup indeed they are just human beings and often people in high places are not their on merit.

Having said that I tend to mirror so if someone is quietly spoken then that is how a act. If someone is an arrogant loudmothed tool then I don't pull my punches.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
          I tend to talk to people at work the same as I would anyone else.

I sometimes get the feeling, though, that some people don't like this. People who are in nominally superior positions; the feeling I get from them is that I am not metaphorically doffing the cap as much as I should be.

Seems to be more prevalent in bigger organisations with more politics....
          I insist on being called either Sir or Mr MF at work. The same for this site in fact.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            I insist on being called either Sir or Mr MF at work. The same for this site in fact.
            yet at NLYUK's place you like being called 'worm'?
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              yet at NLYUK's place you like being called 'worm'?
              That's Mr Worm to you.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Yes Reek, of course you do.

Comment

I sit opposite a permie PM who is only interested in what comes out of his own mouth & most of that is directed at those who sit around him that he considers to be his peers.

As I'm not considered one of his peers, I tend to get cut off before I get to the end of what I'm saying. Very rude but as I've only been here for just a week, I'll let him have his fun. For now....

He's spent the whole morning so far banging on about how he used to work at an RAF site where his office was a hut 20 feet from the end of the runway.

Had to hold the desk down every time a jet took off to stop his monitor falling off he did & fighter pilots would come in to have a cup of tea with him to share the details of all their tally-ho exploits.

I'm getting too old & cynical for this lark....

Comment

I don't show any particular deference to anyone. I mean, don't get me wrong, I won't waltz into the CEO's office and start chatting like we've been best mates - I'm professional and courteous, but nobody is above me

Comment

Working...
                    X