• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How long is your day including commute?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long is your day including commute?

OK Time to wave your willy (or whatever).

11.5 hours daily (8 hours plus 1.5ish each way commute) is my current. I'm thinking is probably above average but not excessive compared to some.

Problems I've found with this are:-
    1) Extra hours due to workload/emergency don't really work for an already long day.
    2) By Friday Im knackered.
    3) During the week I have zero time to myself by the time I get home. Not helped with having young kids.

Can't moan though - decent contract. Been here 8 months now - and looking at more. Would have parted ways by now otherwise I think.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

15 minutes commute, 7 hour day. Plenty enough.

I don't get this long commute, long day tulip?

Do you want to waste your life in some dull as **** office full of other equally irksome retards, then spend what should be YOUR free time in yet another tailback, with drivers weaving in an out of every lane, just so you can collapse in an armchair at 9pm every evening, and do it all again, day in day out, year after year?

Comment

1 hour each way + 7.5 hours 'work'

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Do you want to waste your life in some dull as **** office full of other equally irksome retards, then spend what should be YOUR free time in yet another tailback, with drivers weaving in an out of every lane, just so you can collapse in an armchair at 9pm every evening, and do it all again, day in day out, year after year?

I'm on similar terms to PC; 3 or more hours commuting and a 7-8 hour day.

My expertise is quite niche, and not many contracts for me out there.

My advice get an automatic and listen to classic fm!
        http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

40 mins each way + 7.5 hours in theory.

But I am a permie. I did 2 hours each way + 8 hour day for a while as a contractor. Crap for all the reasons PC said.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Same as OP from my own house, but from local digs: 15 min each way + 8 hours on site.

Eventually it becomes an oppressive hamster wheel, even with local mon-fri digs. But being a contractor, you can hopefully just finish and take a few months off.

Comment

I would never drive anything but auto now. The fantasy of snicking through the gears on deserted roads

Comment

45 minute drive each way and 8 hours total work.

..which is why I love working from home. The 10 second commute, and 1.5 extra hours a day for yourself/house/family.
                Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
                "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Average day:

gym
                  10 min walk in
                  2 hours doing genuine work
                  ~1 hour faffing and eating (throughout the day)
                  1 hour planning/diary stuff/aligning people
                  4 hours on rubbish calls with headless chickens
                  10 min walk to gym
                  Vino and return to sanity

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

I don't get this long commute, long day tulip?

No I dont. I'd much rather spend the morning at home watching Jeremy Kyle, crack one out watching Loose Women, then having a few hours kip in the afternoon.

But no-one will pay me shedloads of money for doing that !
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X