• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Don't park in the disabled bay unless you are actually disabled...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't park in the disabled bay unless you are actually disabled...

"Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

That copper could have done him for littering

Comment

Not forgetting a fine for driving a vehicle with impaired visibility.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Too many ignorant people in the UK park in blue badge bays and get away with it. I've noticed this is very prevalent at service stations. Disabled people need those bays because they are wider and they need this to get wheelchairs out of their vehicles. It's not a luxury for the disabled, but a necessity....

Rant over
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
          Too many people in the UK
          with Blue Disabled Badges. A great many of them are not "Disabled", they are just morbidly obese through nobody's fault but their own. There are also a great many that are not "Disabled", they are just old and retired and have all day to do their shopping.
          I have no issue with genuinely Disabled people getting assistance, but there are way too many hangers-on in this Blue Badge system.
          Let's have some sort of re-evaluation please.

<rant over>

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Conversely, go to the Oracle in Reading and in the main car park, there are about 100 disabled bays on each floor with none of them ever, ever taken it seems, so on a busy day, you have to drive up 7 floors just to get a space.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
              with Blue Disabled Badges. A great many of them are not "Disabled", they are just morbidly obese through nobody's fault but their own. There are also a great many that are not "Disabled", they are just old and retired and have all day to do their shopping.
              I have no issue with genuinely Disabled people getting assistance, but there are way too many hangers-on in this Blue Badge system.

<rant over>

Can't disagree with this. In some counties (Cornwall is one) you can only park for free in their blue badge spaces if you have a blue badge AND the vehicle is tax except. Tax exception is only given to the disabled who receive DLA (so not the oldies and fatties).
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

<rant over>

Yeah to this

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                  Tax exception is only given to the disabled who receive DLA (so not the oldies and fatties).
                  Not wholly true, my car was VAT exempt as I had modifications to help BGG as a passenger to get in & out, but I will never park in a blue bay unless he is with me.

I also pay the London CC if I am in town on my own (despite my car being registered against BGG’s blue badge)

I am not refuting that some people do abuse the system: that will always happen.

Non-disabled using the bays I feel has more to do with the public perception (fuelled by media & government) that “all disabled people are benefit scroungers who, if they just had a better positive attitude would get well again; so why should they have special parking!”

Also in the interest of balance there are some diseases that cause obesity, and yes obesity can cause other diseases, some elderly people have disabilities (which may or may not be caused by age)

Not all disabilities are visible

We are not doctors: let’s try not to judge

Growing old is mandatory
                  Growing up is optional

Comment

<rant over>

I see this at lunch everyday at Morrison's in Cardiff Bay, surely the exercise of walking further would benefit them.
                    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Working...
                    X