• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First timer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First timer

Hi

I am on the verge of moving from perm to contracting, but I am not sure if my current state of flux is normal..?

Following interview, I have been offered a contract through an agency. The discussions have been ongoing, and I'm confident the client wants me - and I have no reason not to trust the agent, but - initially the contract started as a 12 month contract - I was hoping for 6, but after giving it some thought, felt 12 wouldn't be so bad after all for my first one. As part of this 12 month contract, I was also told I would receive some training, which would be a nice bonus. Now, the paradigm seems to have shifted - the contract is now 6 months, and the scope of the role will change and training would not be provided. The details are scratchy, and after asking for visibility of the contract a few times, mostly so I can get it checked for IR35, the agency is going to send me their 'template' contract as an example - apparently my contract will be with the agent rather than the end client. I have verbally handed in my notice, but not followed this up in writing yet, until I have seen the contract. I have a separate issue here as the client wants me to start in a month, but I am on 3 months notice so I have to do all I can to reduce this.The Agent is a big national agency, and I have dealt with them in the past and not had any reason not to trust them - is an agencies 'template' contract normal, and enough for me to put my notice in writing to my employer - or am i being strung along? They have forwarded me an email from the client telling them they want me on a 6 month contract, so I know this much is true, but I have no visibility of the details of the 6 month contract - again, is this normal? Maybe I am a permie going through the first wave of understanding that contract recruitment is different?

Any advice welcome
    Cheers

Never trust an agent, they are all without exception, shady. Even that nice one wot buys you a drink in the pub after work.

The thing about perm > contracting is you need a new mindset, and you can't cling to your old way of working. You need to get yourself set up, you need to cast off your permie shackles, and flounder in the deep end for a bit, with enough savings and confidence that you're capable of contracting, until something comes along.

It's almost impossible to jump straight from perm to contracting, don't forget also your accounting, business bank account, liability insurance, possibly LTD registration, VAT registration, accountant, setting up PAYE, etc. most of which will be required for recruiters to even take you seriously.

It tends to be fast moving too, I would be alarmed if things take more than a few days to settle out, when I am looking for a contract, even looking a week in advance is almost always too early. Most jobs come and go within a couple of days, I usually interview on the same day or the day after and hear a yes/no by the end of that day.

Good luck but if things are taking more than a few days it's alarm bells to me.
    Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

They are expecting you to be a cheap resource by giving you a fixed term contract (FTC) instead of a proper day-rate contract.

Read this http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...m-contact.html
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I'm up for the change of mindset, and ready to get setup with a LTD company etc, but is it reasonable for me to expect to see a contract before I resign from my job, and does their template contract equate to the same? I won't take any tulip but I don't want to shoot mhself in the foot either. If someone tells me in the contract world, verbal contracts are the norm, then I'll take it, otherwise I'll give them until lunchtime tomorrow, before I give up and move on.

Comment

It's normal for your contract to be with the agency, not the end client.

I wouldn't resign until you have a signed contract, and even then, I'm sure you know, clients do change their minds between signing and start date (especially with a month's notice). And bear in mind that agents have been known to string people along too.

As to whether the template will be the same as the actual contract, that sounds like a question for the agency - you'd imagine it would be. You won't be able to get a final contract until you've set up your Ltd, as the contract will be between yourCo and the agency, not you and the agency.

Have a read of the first timer's guides --->

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

I wouldn't resign until you have a signed contract, and even then, I'm sure you know, clients do change their minds between signing and start date (especially with a month's notice). And bear in mind that agents have been known to string people along too.

As to whether the template will be the same as the actual contract, that sounds like a question for the agency - you'd imagine it would be. You won't be able to get a final contract until you've set up your Ltd, as the contract will be between yourCo and the agency, not you and the agency.

Have a read of the first timer's guides --->

Good luck!
            He is however on 3 months notice and no one will wait that long for a contractor.... So while my usual advice would be don't resign until you have the contract if he really wants to be a contractor he needs to ensure he has sufficient savings to live 3-6 months and bite the bullet and resign.

As for the contract itself... The idea that they may or may not be training really doesn't add up... What usually happens is you go for interview, client says him and the agent rapidly(ish) sorts out the paperwork...
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

As to whether the template will be the same as the actual contract, that sounds like a question for the agency - you'd imagine it would be. You won't be able to get a final contract until you've set up your Ltd, as the contract will be between yourCo and the agency, not you and the agency
              Aha *now* it makes sense!

Thanks for your help all.

Comment

Working...
              X