• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it harder today to be a contractor than 10 years ago?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it harder today to be a contractor than 10 years ago?

Discuss...
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

10 years ago I was a permie, today I am a contractor.

So for me its a no
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Same here, just wonder if the glory days are over?
      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

I've been a contractor for a lot more than the last 10 years, maybe it's my memory suffering from age, but I'd say it's no harder for me contracting now than 10 years back.

Mind you my skillset has changed with time and I was never a code monkey so I've never seen my function off shored.

Comment

10 years ago I was a contractor. Still a contractor.

For me, the admin side of things is little changed. But as for the actual work side of things, getting new contract roles now is much more difficult than it was 10 years ago... seems to be much less work out there in my field atm.

Comment

The Bob effect has certainly changed the Development/DBA/Testing/Support arena of contracting.

My last client replaced 90% of contractors with onsite Bobs from large consultancies. Lower rates than contractors, easy hiring process (phone call to Bob consultancy, fresh Bob arrives next day).

Then they have a few hard core contractors to do the actual work and fix all the Bob **** ups.

So yes, much harder now that 10 years ago from my experience. Much less affected are architect roles, BA, scrum masters and more touchy-feely people centric roles.

Comment

I am 8 years in, 3 months out of contarct in 8 years is not bad.

It feels like there are more numpties around and did I mention TCS ...

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
                I am 8 years in, 3 months out of contarct in 8 years is not bad.

It feels like there are more numpties around and did I mention TCS ...
                Please don't.

Comment

10 years ago I was a permie and I am again. But I'm being made redundant , so may well be a contractor again.

Certainly a few years ago it seemed there was very little contract work for the likes of me, which is how I ended up doing two permie roles in a row. Maybe it's better now; don't know.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

What I have found is that as more and more people have their home network and have followed an install wizard to install a printer and have maybe sync ITunes with their computer, iPod and IPhone they now think they are IT experts.

So you sit in an listen to some finance execs or ops directors trying to make out they do not need extra IT help 'because they can do it because they have at home'

Obviously we all know the reality is they are clueless and only able to do the above things because it held their hand through the whole process.

Give them a c prompt and a flashing cursor and they will look at you blank.

So in my view it is harder in some ways due to 'everyone being an expert'

You views may vary!

Comment

Working...
                    X