• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Visa Problems

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visa Problems

Hi all
    Four and a half years ago I won a 12 month contract to provide services for an international company. I am a UK national and my contact was UK based, rolling out an ERP system within Europe. All was fine and the company offered me an extension of a further 12 months.
    Towards the end of the 2nd year they asked me to join a team to roll out the same software accross five sites in the USA. This project was expected to last only 9 - 12 months but has been significantly delayed for reasons that are irrelevent to my issue.
    During the two and a half years of monthly commuting (50% working from home and 50% on site in the USA) I was travelling on an ESTA that ,I thought, was acceptable.
    To cut to the chase, a new senior director has taken legal advice and has terminated my contract only 6 weeks away from a significant milestone - the first go-live.
    My dilemma is I am a UK consultant working through my own limited company as the sole employee. To rescue my contract I neeed to obtain the correct Visa within the next few months. I really don't know where I stand on this one. Any adsvice appreciated.
    BTW, all payments were made from the UK and I paid both personal and company tax on my earnings.
    Regards .... Alastair

I can't see a way out here, sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      I can't see a way out here, sorry.
      +1 you need a sponsor to get the visa and unless you client is willing to do it your company isn't big enough to justify it....
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working in the USA on an ESTA...
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          Working in the USA on an ESTA...
          ...is impossible, since the ESTA is merely the Electronic System for Travel Authorization.

The OP (and you) mean under the Visa Waiver Program - which you can still use when travelling for business or pleasure for stays of less than 90 days.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            ...is impossible, since the ESTA is merely the Electronic System for Travel Authorization.

The OP (and you) mean under the Visa Waiver Program - which you can still use when travelling for business or pleasure for stays of less than 90 days.
            Depends on exactly what you are doing. The criteria for the VWP are:

consult with business associates
            attend a scientific, educational, professional, or business convention or conference
            attend short-term training (you may not be paid by any source in the United States with the exception of expenses incidental to your stay)
            negotiate a contract
            The only one that would possibly apply would be "consult with business colleagues", but that basically means going to a meeting. Doing actual work with deliverables could be argued to fall outside that, hence the Client getting twitchy about it.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
              Depends on exactly what you are doing. The criteria for the VWP are:

The only one that would possibly apply would be "consult with business colleagues", but that basically means going to a meeting. Doing actual work with deliverables could be argued to fall outside that, hence the Client getting twitchy about it.
              I agree.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

In many ways, it's good that your client spotted this and not an immigration officer; frankly, I'm surprised that your long/regular visits weren't flagged. As others have said, you cannot do "productive" work in the US without an employment visa (e.g. H-1B), which is sponsored by a US company. In that case you'd be an employee, not a contractor.

Comment

No way to do it remotely?

Comment

No dilemma here. You ****ed up and got binned. You are a contractor so suck it up and over on to your next contract.

Next time just understand your obligations to your client a little better and do a bit more research.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X