• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sunday Girl

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunday Girl

Budget to propose longer Sunday trading hours - BBC News

But chief executive of the Association of Convenience Stores, James Lowman, said giving local authorities responsibility for setting Sunday trading hours could lead to "inconsistency and confusion" for businesses and shoppers.
    He said the same amount of trade would be spread over more hours and would shift from small shops to larger stores.
    "The short period of time that small stores are open while large stores are shut is a crucial advantage for convenience stores, most of which are owned by small businesses.
    "Liberalising Sunday trading hours would make some small stores unviable," he added.
    John Hannett, secretary general of shopworkers' union USDAW, said the announcement was disappointing, and the union would campaign against the move.
    He told the Today programme it would not bring further economic benefits to the country, but would put more pressure on employees.
    Good / Bad / wouldn't happen under UKIP?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Currently big Tescos closes at 4pm, but the small one stays open until 11pm. What was that about inconsistency and confusion?
    Last edited by VectraMan; 7 July 2015, 09:34.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      Curerntly big Tescos closes at 4pm, but the small one stays open until 11pm. What was that about inconsistency and confusion?
      small shops can stay open late, this legislation is why we have 'Tesco locals' if we didn't the large supermarkets would undercut the corner shops then close the branches just like the banks did.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Personally I find the whole notion that the small convenient stores rely solely on the Sunday 4-5PM to 8-11PM window to remain viable ridiculous. If you want to help them out - cut the extortionate business rates instead.

Comment

My big tesco is open continuously from 8am Monday to midnight Saturday, then Sunday trading hours (10-4?) I would rather have thought that pretty much screws any small local shop already, surely a handful of hours on a Sunday evening isn't enough to stay viable?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            small shops can stay open late, this legislation is why we have 'Tesco locals' if we didn't the large supermarkets would undercut the corner shops then close the branches just like the banks did.
            Tesco undercut Tesco and put Tesco out of business?

I usually go to the small shop because it's an easy walk and I only need one or two things, whereas I go to the big shop when I'm in my car and need to buy more stuff. It's rarely about the opening hours, but I suppose it could be for some.

Comment

Bad.

I'm not religious but I like the concept of a day where the world shuts the F*** up.

Comment

Sunday closures are a leftover of a bigoted religion and not of this time

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
                  Bad.

I'm not religious but I like the concept of a day where the world shuts the F*** up.
                  You may have a point, but a day where you can't buy food, petrol, or travel anywhere is too much of a PITA. As most people work in the week, what they ought to do is close the High Street, shops, banks etc. on a weekday and have full opening at the weekend when the majority have free time.

Usually one of the arguments is the poor workers forced to work on a Sunday, but in reality plenty of part-time or temporary workers are delighted to have the extra hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
                    Bad.

What he said. I like one day being different, it gives a pattern to the others. If Sunday becomes the same as every other days, we might as well abolish weekdays and weeks altogether,

And having 1 day where we are not cramming our cake holes with icecream/ipads/chasing worthless tat is sort of cool.

Comment

Working...
                    X