• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

we get the cyclists we deserve

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'If there aren

Stredwick says the gender imbalance in London “reflects the hostile road environment for cycling”. “I’ve come to the conclusion that we get the cyclists we deserve. If we have a street environment that’s hostile, that has no facilities, that has fast traffic with heavy lorries thundering past, we will get low numbers of courageous people, mainly men, on racing bikes and pretty well no one else. But if you provide a street environment where it’s much more egalitarian, where your granny can cycle to the shops safely and have somewhere to park her Dutch-style bike – that’s when we’ll get those kind of cyclists. But you have to be able to provide for them.”

So I need never stop at a red light again?

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    So I need never stop at a red light again?
    Only when in France <linky>
    Growing old is mandatory
    Growing up is optional

Comment

But if you provide a street environment where it’s much more egalitarian, where your granny can cycle to the shops safely and have somewhere to park her Dutch-style bike – that’s when we’ll get those kind of cyclists. But you have to be able to provide for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
        Only when in France <linky>
        Interesting. Personally I am against the idea. If they cause an accident then they have no insurance.

Comment

Interesting. Personally I am against the idea. If they cause an accident then they have no insurance.
          Don't know how it works in France, but in Germany and Switzerland, everyone has personal liability insurance. If a cyclist causes an accident (or goes into the back of car that stops suddenly), it's that insurance that pays out damages.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            Don't know how it works in France, but in Germany and Switzerland, everyone has personal liability insurance. If a cyclist causes an accident (or goes into the back of car that stops suddenly), it's that insurance that pays out damages.
            Even if everyone had PLI, I would still be against the idea. Some cyclists are just way too aggressive.

Comment

Ride (non-racing) membership of British Cycling includes liability insurance, £29.70 for the year and loads of other benefits (the 10% off in Halfords has saved me this already).

Comment

Working...
              X