• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

French help Greeks Surrender

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The French have been helping the Greeks with their new proposal to the EU, and you can tell it's complete surrender to the Germans.

They are still looking for debt relief.

The Germans won't cut that, so it's either a water down of the deal with no debt relief, or grexit

I think Greece want to be sacked, rather than forced to resign.
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

What is the odds there will still be no deal by Sunday night?

Comment

Basically the Greeks came and told the EU to f** off with their poposal. Then they sat down and said oh sh*t we need some money fast, guys we need a reform proposal.....errr ....err what about that document that was hanging round from last week, can't we just put that in.

They'll get the debt relief, as that was always on the table. The Greeks were too busy telling everyone to f*** off so they never got round to the debt relief, which the EU only wanted to discuss after the reform proposal had been agreed.

Basically all debt payments or at least most of them wll be suspended until they've sorted out their economy.

This was always just about the Greeks "grandstanding".

Because they have a choice.

a) they can accept the reform proposals
        b) they can accept the reform proposals
        or c) they can accept the reform proposals

The basic difference between Tsipras and the last government is that Tsipras will give fiery left wing speeches, but essentially he does the same thing, and now he can go round Greece bragging about how he told the EU to f*** off and how Greece has it's own proposals. Of course the proposals will be worded differently and use fiery left wing hyperbole, so that Tsipras can go round Greece giving fiery left wing speeches.
        Last edited by BlasterBates; 10 July 2015, 09:43.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

I don't agree.

The Greeks want some of the debt written off, not just delayed. And they will accept a bit more austerity to get that write off.
          http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            Basically all debt payments or at least most of them wll be suspended until they've sorted out their economy.
            So never?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              So never?
              It will certainly be a very long time, but then Britain repaid it First World War debts last year. There is even debt hanging around from the battle of Waterloo.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                I don't agree.

The Greeks want some of the debt written off, not just delayed. And they will accept a bit more austerity to get that write off.
                They won't get that, but if they' have no debt repayments it makes no difference to the next few years, at least until 2020. So they'll probably accept.

They know they can renegotiate in 2020, but now they need money.

As for austerity, if Greece goes bankrupt, the pensioners and civil servant will get a lot less than if they accept "Austerity".

It's a choice between austerity or worse austerity if they go bankrupt.
                Last edited by BlasterBates; 10 July 2015, 09:55.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

It will certainly be a very long time, but then Britain repaid it First World War debts last year. There is even debt hanging around from the battle of Waterloo.
                  They only repaid WW1 debts as rates were so low!

So now we are debt free are we?

Of course, these days alot of debt is bought by the government itself! Why can't Greece do that?

I don't believe the Greek economy will ever get back on its feet. Any deal now will just see more misery.

Comment

They won't get that, but if they' have no debt repayments it makes no difference to the next few years, at least until 2020. So they'll probably accept.
                    Agreed. And the Troika will agree to it. As the alternative is admitting they will never be paid back...

Comment

Working...
                    X