• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you live next to an electricity substation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you live next to an electricity substation

There is a nice house I've seen but it has a substation at the edge of the property boundary - so maybe 50 yards from the house. It's not a big one - smaller than a car, then with a safety gate and fence protecting it.

My question is - would you live there? Would you buy a house like that - or would you not even bother?
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

I'd not be fussed, personally - though be aware that it might make it a touch harder to sell. Bear in mind that these things are everywhere - many schools/colleges and pretty much every big building will have one somewhere hidden. It's just that a lot are bricked up, so the only give away is a little notice on the door.

I guess the biggest concern would be if you have small kids - they're safe if you're outside of it, but you don't want to be in there playing. I assume it's all underground cabling?

We used to have a fairly big about 10 houses away (Built to serve the estate), and apart from claiming the odd football (It was brick walled up, but with no roof) that was it. It didn't make any weird noises, explode or kill anyone.

Comment

No, they buzz at 50 Hz constantly. However, it is small, so go there at a quiet time and have a listen.

Comment

What would a Daily Mail reader do?

Did the substation near our home kill our two children? | Daily Mail Online
        First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

German student creates electromagnetic harvester that gathers free electricity from thin air | ExtremeTech
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

There would be no radiation at all from a substation 50 yards away, absolutely none, not even weak safe radiation. Overhead cables are a different matter but presumably this is all underground.

The only thing is the buzz if you're sitting in the garden.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

I would buy the house. Then tap into substation to get free leccy!

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                There would be no radiation at all from a substation 50 yards away, absolutely none, not even weak safe radiation.
                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse-square_law
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

The main road drowns out the noise [emoji102] cables are buried. It's a nice gaff other than that. Prob another £100k without the subbie
                  http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Only consideration I would give is access- can the engineers get to the station without crossing your land?

If not you may find some sort of wayleave on the property that means you have to allow 24/7 access
                    Growing old is mandatory
                    Growing up is optional

Comment

Working...
                    X