• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Travel & Subsistence in the budget?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel & Subsistence in the budget?

Was on hols when the budget took place. I think I've picked up most of the salient points since then, but there seems to be allusions here to T&S being hit.

I've seen no direct reference to it anywhere else.

Can somebody enlighten me please, what are the details, will it apply to brollies only, or ltd cos, or both?

TIA

https://www.gov.uk/government/consul...nd-subsistence

Comment

Thanks...

That's an interesting one.

Thinking of IR35...
      D&C - out
      Substitution - out
      No MOO - out

According to the proposal for expenses...
      D&C - expenses allowed
      Substitution - expenses not allowed
      No MOO - expenses not allowed

So, if you are ouside of IR35, it depends on what reason you are outside that determines whether or not you can claim T&S (subject to HMRC's 'consultation').

As I see it, it's another layer of tulipe on top of the tulipe that is IR35.

Tax simplification my arse.

Comment

Originally posted by RetSet View Post
        Thanks...

That's an interesting one.

Thinking of IR35...
        D&C - out
        Substitution - out
        No MOO - out

According to the proposal for expenses...
        D&C - expenses allowed
        Substitution - expenses not allowed
        No MOO - expenses not allowed

So, if you are ouside of IR35, it depends on what reason you are outside that determines whether or not you can claim T&S (subject to HMRC's 'consultation').

As I see it, it's another layer of tulipe on top of the tulipe that is IR35.

Tax simplification my arse.
        Would you like to try and write that as a correct summary of the consultation document or would you prefer me to demonstrate that you are an illiterate scaremonger in person first... I'll give you until late tomorrow morning to correct your glaring flaws...

I would draw your attention to the first full paragraph of the document (at the top of page 2) and then the section on page 22 that explicit addresses Personal Service Companies (I ignore the fact that no such thing as a PSC actually exists legally)

Professional Service Firms
        For the purposes of these proposals employment intermediaries’ will be defined, in
        part (the complete definition proposed is contained above), as a business primarily in
        the supply of labour services. As such the definition will not include professional
        service firms that second staff to clients, as their business is not primarily in the supply
        of labour.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Would you like to try and write that as a correct summary of the consultation document or would you prefer me to demonstrate that you are an illiterate scaremonger in person first... I'll give you until late tomorrow morning to correct your glaring flaws...

I would draw your attention to the first full paragraph of the document (at the top of page 2) and then the section on page 22 that explicit addresses Personal Service Companies (I ignore the fact that no such thing as a PSC actually exists legally)
          Agree that there are errors in the OP's summary, but why are you quoting the section on Professional Service Firms? My understanding is that they are suggesting that consultancies are not treated as employment intermediaries for this purpose. A professional service firm is not a PSC.

For the OP - the document says that if you are under Supervision, Direction OR control, you will not be able to claim T&S. For IR35 you need to have Supervision, Direction AND control to be caught (as well as the other two pillars).

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            What I posted was my impression having skim read the document that ZL kindly linked to. Did you notice that he didn't feel the need to engage in childish name calling?

Perhaps you could write a correct summary using about the same number of words that I did.

BTW, I am neither illiterate nor a scaremonger. Re-read my OP.

Comment

Originally posted by RetSet View Post
              What I posted was my impression having skim read the document that ZL kindly linked to. Did you notice that he didn't feel the need to engage in childish name calling?

Perhaps you could write a correct summary using about the same number of words that I did.

BTW, I am neither illiterate nor a scaremonger. Re-read my OP.
              At least he didn't post an utterly inaccurate summary based upon it.... And in the cold light of morning I think even your Thinking of IR35 section is inaccurate and incomprehensible... Is it listing the rules that make you IR35 safe or what makes you end up subject to IR35...

And as I've commented on other threads in general there is already a topic about this. With far more posts on it... And there is
              1 in accounting which has had actual accountants commenting in it (i.e. people paid to understand this stuff)...

What I will say is that if you are an IPSE member it makes sense to respond to their survey. I don't think it makes sense to reply individually as we have all seen badly written responses used to justify polar opposite viewpoints in previous consultations..

Finally I have a serious suspicion that the people starting these crap scare articles about expenses are salesmen trying to soften people up for tax scam schemes later this year... At least one other poster in a similar thread seems to have a very suspicious post history which emphasises a lack of care in previous financial arrangements...
              Last edited by eek; 11 July 2015, 08:32.

Comment

Something I;m not clear on with the T&S issue is, if it's deemed to be not claimable but you are outside IR35, which seems to be a possible outcome, you can still pay / reimburse T&S from the company account but it would not be deductible against CT. Yes / No?

If Yes, then it's not actually as bad as it sounds as the loss is "only" the tax relief on the CT bill. Yes it will cost more over all but won't actually mean paying your T&S out of personal funds that you have already been taxed on.

Or have I misunderstood completely?
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  Something I;m not clear on with the T&S issue is, if it's deemed to be not claimable but you are outside IR35, which seems to be a possible outcome, you can still pay / reimburse T&S from the company account but it would not be deductible against CT. Yes / No?

If Yes, then it's not actually as bad as it sounds as the loss is "only" the tax relief on the CT bill. Yes it will cost more over all but won't actually mean paying your T&S out of personal funds that you have already been taxed on.

I doubt it as the entire point is these are personal expenses so will need to be paid from personal (after tax) income. If it was doable via the company its not so bad (as you say) but I can't see how the company could pay mileage in such a way...
                  Last edited by eek; 11 July 2015, 08:44.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post

The expense payments would likely be treated as a BIK so they would still reduce your company corporation tax bill (like any other remuneration) but taxable personally via your P11D and tax return (probably with extra BIK NI on top too).

Comment

Working...
                    X