• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

One tax that won't happen

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One tax that won't happen

I would imagine that soft drink lobbyists will kick this one into touch.

Tax sugary drinks by 20%, say doctors - BBC News
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

What's the current tax on those, like about 0???

Increasing VAT to 25% from 20% would be 20% increase in tax, so just 5% in price, big deal.

Comment

Sometimes I think they should bring back public information films. If you are old enough to remember, these were short commercials on TV that gave basic advice and education on common sense subjects. Eg learning to swim, what to do if your clothes catch fire, how to avoid being pick pocketed, following the country code, what to do if you see a boat or swimmer in difficulty at sea. You might laugh but they offered basic information of just the type we need now.

You would think people would automatically know that white bread and sugery pop are bad, but it seems not. Show them a few public information films on their 48 inch TVs, sorted.

Comment

Like this, you mean:

It seems soft drinks are moving away from loads of sugar anyway - many supermarket brands are 'diet' by default rather than having regular and diet versions. And the various "Zero" variants and so on are pretty popular. I wonder if kids today are actually getting less sugar from pop than 5 years ago?
        Last edited by d000hg; 13 July 2015, 13:26.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Doctors, in the UK, want to forcibly make me subsidise social engineering projects to prolong the worthless lives of people who don't value their own wellbeing? Shocker.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
            Sometimes I think they should bring back public information films. If you are old enough to remember, these were short commercials on TV that gave basic advice and education on common sense subjects. Eg learning to swim, what to do if your clothes catch fire, how to avoid being pick pocketed, following the country code, what to do if you see a boat or swimmer in difficulty at sea. You might laugh but they offered basic information of just the type we need now.

You would think people would automatically know that white bread and sugery pop are bad, but it seems not. Show them a few public information films on their 48 inch TVs, sorted.
            If they brought back public information films you are less likely to get:
            1. Cyclists riding without lights and wearing dark clothes at night
            2. Pedestrians walking out randomly into the road in London
            3. Teenagers playing on railway lines
            4. People using headphones/selfie-sticks when they hear a storm when they are the highest point

Then again....
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The BMA are a union.

Comment

I'd take more notice if it wasn't for the last 30 years they've told us that saturated fat was bad for our health.

And now...

Saturated fat advice 'unclear' - BBC News
                Contrary to guidance, there is no evidence that changing the type of fat you eat from "bad" saturated to "healthier" polyunsaturated cuts heart risk.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                  Doctors, in the UK, want to forcibly make me subsidise social engineering projects to prolong the worthless lives of people who don't value their own wellbeing? Shocker.
                  Yes it is shocking that you have to be forced to do this.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    If they brought back public information films you are less likely to get:
                    1. Cyclists riding without lights and wearing dark clothes at night
                    2. Pedestrians walking out randomly into the road in London
                    3. Teenagers playing on railway lines
                    4. People using headphones/selfie-sticks when they hear a storm when they are the highest point

Then again....
                    I like to mix crossply and radial tyres.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X