• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best option for currency when in Europe.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best option for currency when in Europe.

So taking the ball 'n' chain, 'n' bin lids to Italy in a week for some Pizza and Ice-cream.

But what is the best way to take money is it

1) Buy Euro's before you go and only use cash
    2) buy some euro's but buy some stuff on credit card
    3) Take a pre-filled 'credit card' and draw while over there
    4) Just get cash out whilst abroad.

So what do you seasoned travellers do?

What is best?

Or often are we only talking a difference of a few euro's so just do whatever?

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/tra...p-travel-money

Comment

+1. this is where everyone should go before asking this kind of question here

Comment

Long term, it's best to have a Euro denominated account in one of the more reputable countires banks (say Germany) and send money to that via 3rd party services like transferwise.com
        But if it's one off, I'd do a combination of:
        paying for the travel and accommodation in advance with a UK credit card, ideally in GBP or if in EUR, with a card that does not charge per transaction (usually Post Office has the best terms for this, but you may not be able to get the card on a short notice). Even if your bank charges per translation, it's usually £1 or so, and we're talking 1 or two transactions so I wouldn't worry about it.

Having paid for basics in advance even if you get pickpocketed, you have a place to stay and can come back easily.

Then you order some physical Euro notes and you collect them, in London there's loads of places with good rates (if you order online, in advance), UK wide Marks and Spencer or Post Office are the easiest places to go for it.
        How much you get that way depends on your appetite for risk, personally I only get half the pocket money that way. Distribute the notes between your pockets, wallet, backpack/ carry on luggage etc.
        The rest I withdraw when needed, in lump sums from local ATMs.
        Depending on you bank, it may be more or less profitable to charge the bank in EUR and let the bank handle the conversion, or let the ATM company handle the conversion and charge the bank in GBP - the ATM will advise on the ATM side rates.

Other than that don't worry too much about - as long as you don't do tons of tiny transactions(each of which attract a minimum £1-2.5 charge) the fx won't hurt too much - enjoy your holiday

Comment

I have a supercard which is attached directly to either the company card or personal debit card as appropriate... That was limited release and I was lucky to get one.

I also have a ukash prepay card which you can put money on and will instantly credit the card. That was a great card until the one above arrived and is still my backup plan...
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            I have a supercard which is attached directly to either the company card or personal debit card as appropriate... That was limited release and I was lucky to get one.

I also have a ukash prepay card which you can put money on and will instantly credit the card. That was a great card until the one above arrived and is still my backup plan...
            Snap - great concept, but unfortunately arrived a week after my latest foray into Europe.......my plan is to use for Amazon.de purchases, when the need arises, too
            latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Did you ask your accountant about it?

Comment

Originally posted by kevpuk View Post
                Snap - great concept, but unfortunately arrived a week after my latest foray into Europe.......my plan is to use for Amazon.de purchases, when the need arises, too
                It works well for that :
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I use option 4 now. a card for cash machines.

I tried every other option under the sun, but for reliability and convenience, it's number 4
                  (\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    I use option 4 now. a card for cash machines.

I tried every other option under the sun, but for reliability and convenience, it's number 4
                    I have to disagree. I find my card is sometimes declined when abroad, especially when trying to get cash out. Of course, you can phone customer services during UK office hours - useless if you're several timezones away. So I take cash which I get at my local bank or PO although my father uses an online money exchange which he says give the best rates.

Comment

Working...
                    X