• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Have we dont these idiots yet?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have we dont these idiots yet?

Heathrow Airport climate change protest delays flights - BBC News

Protesters? Activists? No, they're just selfish twats.

It's the fault of the people for flying unnecessarily, said one selfish twat. What does that even mean? Oh I think I'll pop on a plan to Spain and back today.

I want a third runway, when are we getting it
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

On this occasion, I agree. This kind of vandalism is likely to do more PR damage than good for the movement.
    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

I want a third runway, when are we getting it
      Yes, Heathrow expansion is clearly a great idea, flying one and a half million people a week and billions of tonnes of highly inflammable fuel over one of the world's most densely populated cities with some of the world's most historically important monuments and a significant part of the world's ecomomy being processed is clearly very sensible, and showering the people who live there with soot and sh!t is necessary in order to make money for the Spanish company that owns Heathrow.

It doesn't matter that it is a hub airport and therefore of highly dubious value to the British economy, and that tens of thousands of people will die horribly when an aeroplane is either taken down by terrorist activity or falls out of the sky due to mechanical failure, that is a small price to pay for a few NMW jobs preparing sandwiches.

I don't agree with this kind of "direct action", but then I do see a group of frustrated people with limited voice trying to make a point. A multi million pound enquiry found against the disastrous folly of a third runway at Heathrow a few years ago, but like Scottish Nationalists they will keep coming back until they get the answer they want, and it is difficult for a neighbourhood, however impassioned, to get organised and fight a money machine like BAA or whatever they call themselves now. The recent poster campaign with the thumbs up and the "truckers are behind us" made me want to vomit, and for once in my life I am sympathetic with the activists.

Comment

Isn't it just another Cameron U-turn, promise the voters one thing, get voted in, renege: David Cameron 'will not break promise' on opposing new Heathrow runway, sources claim - Telegraph
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

They need to put in a better lounge as well with better chillers. Champagne is too warm in the other First class lounges.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
            Yes, Heathrow expansion is clearly a great idea, flying one and a half million people a week and billions of tonnes of highly inflammable fuel over one of the world's most densely populated cities with some of the world's most historically important monuments and a significant part of the world's ecomomy being processed is clearly very sensible, and showering the people who live there with soot and sh!t is necessary in order to make money for the Spanish company that owns Heathrow.

It doesn't matter that it is a hub airport and therefore of highly dubious value to the British economy, and that tens of thousands of people will die horribly when an aeroplane is either taken down by terrorist activity or falls out of the sky due to mechanical failure, that is a small price to pay for a few NMW jobs preparing sandwiches.

I don't agree with this kind of "direct action", but then I do see a group of frustrated people with limited voice trying to make a point. A multi million pound enquiry found against the disastrous folly of a third runway at Heathrow a few years ago, but like Scottish Nationalists they will keep coming back until they get the answer they want, and it is difficult for a neighbourhood, however impassioned, to get organised and fight a money machine like BAA or whatever they call themselves now. The recent poster campaign with the thumbs up and the "truckers are behind us" made me want to vomit, and for once in my life I am sympathetic with the activists.
            So shall we just stop air travel altogether and move into your mud hut?
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
              So shall we just stop air travel altogether and move into your mud hut?
              Your incredible insight overwhelms me, I fully support expanding Heathrow now.

Although it is quite a leap of logic from somebody saying "it's a dumb idea to fly highly inflammable fuel and millions of people over a densely populated and highly significant city" to "I think we should all be living in mud* huts", I'd be interested to see your working on that.

Just for the "it can't happen" brigade

Staines

Lockerbie

Heathrow itself

And Heathrow again

I merely offer and reiterate my opinion, expanding capacity Heathrow airport is a dumb idea for short term financial gain by a Spanish company, is of little or no benefit to the UK economy, increases the unnecessary risk to tens of thousands of lives in London and the M4 corridor, and will further detract from the quality of life for hundreds of thousands if not millions of people.

*In the interest of honesty, my hut is made of wood, actually.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                They need to put in a better lounge as well with better chillers. Champagne is too warm in the other First class lounges.
                says someone who never boarded first class

Comment

Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
                  Your incredible insight overwhelms me, I fully support expanding Heathrow now.

Although it is quite a leap of logic from somebody saying "it's a dumb idea to fly highly inflammable fuel and millions of people over a densely populated and highly significant city" to "I think we should all be living in mud* huts", I'd be interested to see your working on that.

Just for the "it can't happen" brigade

Staines

Lockerbie

Heathrow itself

And Heathrow again

I merely offer and reiterate my opinion, expanding capacity Heathrow airport is a dumb idea for short term financial gain by a Spanish company, is of little or no benefit to the UK economy, increases the unnecessary risk to tens of thousands of lives in London and the M4 corridor, and will further detract from the quality of life for hundreds of thousands if not millions of people.

*In the interest of honesty, my hut is made of wood, actually.
                  If you are going to make sweeping cliches about the negative effects of flying in and out of our capital city then I am afraid you are going to be challenged. If flying is so dangerous and harmful and "dumb" as you call it then why are we doing it at all?
                  You are not going to have it both ways. Either it is a dumb and dangerous activity or it is not or it is somewhere between. If you are going to follow the "dumb" argument then explain why have it at all. Or are you just being lazy?
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Probably Boris after he vowed not to let Heathrow extension go ahead.

He has a point. Boris island is a much better bet.

Comment

Working...
                    X