• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hallo, hallo, hallo wh have we fitted up here then?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hallo, hallo, hallo wh have we fitted up here then?

Student George Wilson was handcuffed for giving homeless man £1 wins compensation | Daily Mail Online

Student who handed £1 to a homeless man only to be handcuffed by police who thought it was a drugs deal wins £5,000 payout
    George Wilson was held by officer who thought he was swapping drugs
    But student managed to make voice recording of incident on his phone
    Has received £5,000 compensation after being handcuffed in Liverpool
    Bentley Motors apprentice says he 'felt let down' by Merseyside Police
    George Wilson, 20, was held by police who thought the men were swapping drugs – and later denied being drunk before an officer told him: ‘That’s not how I’ll write it up’.
    A Merseyside Police spokesman said: ‘The force sought legal advice before a settlement amount was negotiated before this case went to trial.

‘The officer involved in this incident was spoken to about the matter at a misconduct meeting earlier in the year and was provided with advice and training.

‘Merseyside Police remains absolutely committed to the highest integrity and the professional standards of its officers at all times.’
    nice no P54?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

George Wilson, 20, was held by police who thought the men were swapping drugs – and later denied being drunk before an officer told him: ‘That’s not how I’ll write it up’.

‘The officer involved in this incident was spoken to about the matter at a misconduct meeting earlier in the year and was provided with advice and training.
    Yep he was advised next time not to verbalise his thoughts but to keep them to himself...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Yep he was advised next time not to verbalise his thoughts but to keep them to himself...
      No he was unlawfully detained and accused of a crime he clearly did not commit.

Reacting to inappropriate behavior by the Police less than perfectly at 2am in the morning is not a crime.

Try the BBC write up.

Man arrested for giving £1 to homeless man wins payout - BBC News

or maybe the Liverpool of the echo which has a transcript and the recording:

Teenager handcuffed by police after giving £1 to a homeless man wins £5,000 pay out for unlawful detention - Liverpool Echo

whilst the chap was quite insistent he was polite and was treated poorly.

The sooner every policeman is fitted with cameras the better for both sides.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        No he was unlawfully detained and accused of a crime he clearly did not commit.

Reacting to inappropriate behavior by the Police less than perfectly at 2am in the morning is not a crime.

Try the BBC write up.

Man arrested for giving £1 to homeless man wins payout - BBC News

or maybe the Liverpool of the echo which has a transcript and the recording:

Teenager handcuffed by police after giving £1 to a homeless man wins £5,000 pay out for unlawful detention - Liverpool Echo

whilst the chap was quite insistent he was polite and was treated poorly.

The sooner every policeman is fitted with cameras the better for both sides.
        I think he meant the policeman.
        I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Originally posted by GlenW View Post
          I think he meant the policeman.
          ah! sorry

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            Indeed he was:

The officer said he was not threatening to falsify a statement but saying he did not accept Mr Wilson had not been drunk and disorderly.

An investigation by Merseyside Police concluded the words could be interpreted differently and the officer was advised not to use them again.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
            X