• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sheet Lightning storm

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sheet Lightning storm

Is playing havoc with my broadband connection at the mo'....
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Unplug? My phone lines got hit a couple of months back and wrecked the modem, 2 network cards and the slots they were in.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Disconnect!

A few years ago my next door neighbour's roof was blown up by lightning, and my computer motherboard was damaged by the electric shrapnel. As was my TV ariel and burglar alarm.

Comment

I use my modem to attract lighting strikes in order to recharge batteries for my time machine.

threaded.

Comment

Unplug now. I've lost 2 modems and a router to lightening storms in the past.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Never had a problem and we have storms that last for hours. Must be an English thing.
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Wireless good. At least you'll only lose the WAP and router rather than all the tulip connected to it.

I have a big old Liebert UPS between the mains and my workstation with lightning arrestors and surge protection.
              Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

*comes out from under blanket and plugs everything back in*

The storm has passed chaps - thanks for the advice. It was just sheet lightning though, not forked. Doesn't that make a difference?
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak
                  *comes out from under blanket and plugs everything back in*

The storm has passed chaps - thanks for the advice. It was just sheet lightning though, not forked. Doesn't that make a difference?
                  I believe sheet is just lightening hidden behind a cloud. I suppose it is more likely to be between two different air layers than air and ground.

Anyway, they've both got loads of coulombs so I wouldn't take chances.

Comment

I lost an all in one printer/fax/copier to a lightning strike. Was not impressed at the time.

I bought a load of surge suppressing four way plugs which should fry before it reaches any of my electrical kit now but I don't really want to test them out...

Comment

Working...
                    X