• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency want personal details for HMRC requirement

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency want personal details for HMRC requirement

I received an email a while back from my agency as follows.

Is there any reason not to comply, apart from the fact that according to my contract, they should have asked my company to supply details of the workers including any substitutes?

We are writing to you regarding the Employment Intermediaries legislation that came into effect in April 2014. Under this legislation all UK recruitment firms now have a statutory requirement to provide quarterly reports to HMRC on all workers placed and payments made where the recruitment firm does not deduct employment taxes and NI.

Please be advised this requirement is relevant to all contractors PAID during any month starting from April 2015 regardless of whether your assignment has now finishedIt is Experis’ responsibility to submit a quarterly report to HMRC with the following information:

· Your full name

· Date of birth

· National Insurance number

· Personal Address

· Engagement details i.e. limited company contractor, umbrella etc

· Start and end date of assignment

· Company name

· Company address

· Company registration number

· Amount paid for your services for the reporting period (including currency and VAT)

In accordance with data protection legislation, please take this as formal notification that Experis will be sharing the above information with the HMRC (which we are required to do under legislation).

You don't HAVE to comply. However the agency has to provide the info to HMRC so if you don't provide the info, the agency will be obliged to cancel your contract.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
      You don't HAVE to comply. However the agency has to provide the info to HMRC so if you don't provide the info, the agency will be obliged to cancel your contract.
      No they won't. They'll be obliged to inform HMRC that you refused to provide it.
      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

My main niggle is the requirement for a proof of address that is less than 3 months old, meaning I have to faff around with my scanner. It's not as though I have loads of time to fanny around doing admin work they should have thought about when we signed the contract. But if there's nothing to worry about on the legal side then it's just a matter of the added aggro and nothing else. I suppose I could invoice them for the time involved (that's a joke - the less I have to do the better - although posting on this forum usually provides a bit of entertainment)

Comment

We had a discussion about this and we basically all provided it (apart from a few Bertie big bollocks types who said they wouldn't, then did)

At the end of the day your agency have all of this info anyway (you probably supplied it already, including the NI code), they're just giving you a fair chance to ensure its correct before it goes off to the Feds.
          ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Try a search as detailed in the FAQ section of the forum. Been discussed a number of times. Hard work this contracting lark isn't it.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I did, honest guv. I searched for "proof of address" which is the bit that's been annoying me since it would be most time-consuming. Found nothing except a couple of interesting but totally unrelated threads. I was hoping for a legit and robust reason to tell the agency to naff off, but unfortunately it seems where the HMRC is involved, there's not much I can really do.

Comment

Cliched thing to say, but if you're legit then there's nothing to worry about - all of this info on you is well known already.
                ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Your agency is lazy.

Apart from the NI requirement they should have that information about you anyway e.g. they should know how you operate, how much the contract is worth.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Your agency is lazy.

Apart from the NI requirement they should have that information about you anyway e.g. they should know how you operate, how much the contract is worth.
                    you're lazy for not reading the OP, they said they'll have to share all of the below information and were notifying OP of this fact, they weren't requesting anything

Comment

Working...
                    X