• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Capita Tax assurance (IR35) still referring to business entity tests

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capita Tax assurance (IR35) still referring to business entity tests

Hi there

I wonder whether anybody has been through the process of onboarding with Capita since April 21015. I was given a form where I have 'undertake to provide evidence' of my low risk of being under IR35 and low scoring ('21 or under) on entity tests.
    but as we know, these tests were scrapped by HMRC in April, HMRC agrees to drop Business Entity Tests :: Contractor UK

I have tried to contact Capita but no-one seemed to know, while i am now signing a document where i am practically unable to provide the proof they are asking for.

They don't care as it's a simple paper shuffling exercise to them.

Simply make sure you have tax investigation insurance and get on with it.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Simply make sure you have tax investigation insurance and get on with it.
      Had a client forward an email from Capita re this yesterday, and the above wasn't an option.

Basically you had 3 choices:
      1) provide evidence you're low risk (which hardly any contractor will achieve),
      2) if you're medium-high risk, provide a certificate from HMRC confirming you're outside IR35,
      3) provide evidence that you're doing a deemed calculation (basically that you're inside IR35).

There was no option for "I'm medium-high risk but I'm happy I've done my due diligence and am outside", with or without external professional opinion (barring HMRC certificate)...also no option for "The BETs have been scrapped by HMRC you fools".

I imagine HMRC would be highly unlikely to issue certificates confirming you're outside IR35...especially given IR35 should be on a "per contract" basis, so they'd be confirming, BEFORE a client signed a contract with Capita, that the contract they were about to enter was definitely outside.

Basically it's a big load of poop.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
        Had a client forward an email from Capita re this yesterday, and the above wasn't an option.

Basically you had 3 choices:
        1) provide evidence you're low risk (which hardly any contractor will achieve),
        2) if you're medium-high risk, provide a certificate from HMRC confirming you're outside IR35,
        3) provide evidence that you're doing a deemed calculation (basically that you're inside IR35).

There was no option for "I'm medium-high risk but I'm happy I've done my due diligence and am outside", with or without external professional opinion (barring HMRC certificate)...also no option for "The BETs have been scrapped by HMRC you fools".

I imagine HMRC would be highly unlikely to issue certificates confirming you're outside IR35...especially given IR35 should be on a "per contract" basis, so they'd be confirming, BEFORE a client signed a contract with Capita, that the contract they were about to enter was definitely outside.

Basically it's a big load of poop.
        Last I heard, it was taking two months for HMRC to provide any assessment anyway - and without knowing the working conditions they can't do that.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Yes I had this recently for a DWP gig. Told them to shove it.
          Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
            Yes I had this recently for a DWP gig. Told them to shove it. they then bobbed the job and filled the vacancy with an ICT paying ZERO UK tax.
            FTFY
            When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
            X