• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The first thing my first boss said to me

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first thing my first boss said to me

... and I'll never forget it. "Never tulip on people on the way up, as you may just need them again on the way back down".

Stuck with me that has. Then again I don't think I've ever seen it implemented.

When I worked in Germany, the time before just now - when I blew the cylinder head on my car, I wasn't having such a great time on the project. The lead dev was a bit shouty, and used to talk to me like I was a piece of tulipe. There was one other contractor on site, German chap, who used to go for beers with me on a Wednesday night and listen to me get it all off my chest. Very sympathetic.

Then he said he was starting his own consultancy, and maybe some day in the future I could sub contract. He liked my work, and the fact that I could hack "euro commuting" as he put it.

I remember joking at the time that I insist "he did not get all shouty", and would treat me with a modicum of respect. He used to agree how awfully I was treated and always said he would treat his consultants with a high level of respect, because he is one himself and knows how hard they work.

Roll forward to last July when I got the call. Germany again, 4 weeks work, for his burgeoning consultancy. Fabulous!

So I went out there. 4 weeks became 11 months. Again fabulous.

Here's the but. I was treated like a skivvy. Undermined, talked down to, especially in front of the customer. This in turn made the customer treat me badly. Constant interruptions, with irrelevant questions like "how do you do this in excel". It was driving me mad. No sense escalating, although I did try a few times to explain that if you allow the customer to walk all over your consultants it does not set a good precedent, and would ultimately lead to a revolving door policy for his consultants.

I would tell the end client one thing, maybe try and exert some pressure on them to deliver things. They would go running behind my back, to this guy and he would fold immediately. Then when I carried on pressing the end client they would just laugh and show me the email that completely undermined me.

It's an interesting approach to building a consultancy, and one that confuses the tulip out of me. I remember thinking to me that this guy has worked so hard to build this consultancy, but it wouldn't hurt to be a little more gracious.

It is typical "suity the victim" stuff, and I recognise the one common factor here is me, but I genuinely do not understand how I end up getting trampled when I just turn up and do my best. In this recent case my best was good enough as it went live without a hitch.

Not every gig happens like this. But more than I am comfortable with.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    ... and I'll never forget it. "Never tulip on people on the way up, as you may just need them again on the way back down".

some other waffle.
    That's because you always have verbal diarrhoea.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Suity, you are very much of the "I have never caused a road accident, but I've seen hundreds in my rear view mirror...."

Comment

Oh look, the lying, hypocritical bigot starts yet another of his attention seeking fiction threads.

If only you took the time to realise that without a complete personality transplant and the removal of your propensity to make up complete bollocks you will carry on being a complete oxygen thief for the rest of your miserable, fictional existence.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
          Oh look, the lying, hypocritical bigot starts yet another of his attention seeking fiction threads.

If only you took the time to realise that without a complete personality transplant and the removal of your propensity to make up complete bollocks you will carry on being a complete oxygen thief for the rest of your miserable, fictional existence.
          Try not so sit too much on the fence there Tyke.
          Last edited by MarillionFan; 16 July 2015, 14:36. Reason: spelling their there they're

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post

Come on TM, stop sitting on the fence and being diplomatic, tell us what you really think.

Edit: Beaten to it by the fat bloke.
            I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

There are a number of possible explanations:

1) You're damned unlucky and have worked mostly with people that treat everyone like that.

2) There's something about you that makes ordinarily decent people treat you like that.

3) Your perception of how they treat you doesn't match the reality.

How do these people treat your colleagues? How do those colleagues perceive that they are treated?

(Or, especially for TykeMerc: 4) It's made up bollocks and you're a fantasist and a liar )

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

(Or, especially for TykeMerc: 4) It's made up bollocks and you're a fantasist and a liar )
                Ah, he beat me to it.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  There are a number of possible explanations:

1) You're damned unlucky and have worked mostly with people that treat everyone like that.

2) There's something about you that makes ordinarily decent people treat you like that.

3) Your perception of how they treat you doesn't match the reality.

How do these people treat your colleagues? How do those colleagues perceive that they are treated?

(3) He has a victim complex. What you could say to 99% of people in a meeting/discussion, Suity would take it another way. It goes further than just an inferiority complex, because in Suity's case he takes it as everyone is out to get him.

Quite tedious really.

Comment

He has managed to get the whole internet to hate his whining guts with a vengeance. And he doesn't understand why the people that actually know him are worse!

Comment

Working...
                    X