• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Sheriff's Lair vol. CCXC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Sheriff's Lair vol. CCXC

More planning meetings. Wish they'd leave me alone to read stuff like this instead
    • Stuff in Space - "Stuff in Space is a realtime 3D map of objects in Earth orbit, visualized using WebGL." HT to northernladuk for this one; the need for WebGL support means you’ll need to view it on an up-to-date browser.

• The Doctors Whose Patients Are Already Dead - ”Inside the autopsy lab, pathologists talk about the emotional rewards of medicine's most-maligned specialty—and what it's like to work side-by-side with death.”

• Ted A Day - A project by Dublin-resident Japanese artist Shota Kotake: ”Celebrating 20 years anniversary of Father Ted, I decided to do drawing of Father Ted a day until I get fed up and hopefully to apply for Guinness World Records.”

• The fragile dignity of the 'Lady Help' - Tessa Boase explores social history in the classified ads: ”To leaf through The Lady from the 1880s to the present day is to experience at breakneck speed a furiously changing Britain… These small ads are a fascinating social barometer. They show how the power and advantage swung gradually from the upper and upper-middle classes, with their complacent talk of servants being ‘kept’, and women doing ‘the rough’, to favour those still working in domestic service after two world wars, wooed with increasingly desperate promises of private flats, cars, swimming pools – even televisions.”

• The Day the Bomb Dropped - "On July 16, 1945, near Alamogordo, New Mexico, the first nuclear weapon was successfully tested… On the 70th anniversary of this path-altering event, here we collect a selection of articles and book reviews from American Scientist that cover this controversial topic from multiple angles."

• How the Church of Scientology tried to bring down journalist Paulette Cooper, aka Miss Lovely - How everybody’s favourite vengeful cult persecuted a journalist over forty years: ”It must have taken hundreds of employees breaking into places, stealing records, tapping her phone, making friends with her, with spies. This total scope of it is really amazing and from 1969 to really 2010 at least.”

• Colour Images of Mansions in South Wales - HT to Zeity for this one: ”Colour images in South Wales including the counties of Pembrokeshire, Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, the Glamorgans, Radnorshire, Brecknockshire & Monmouthshire (Gwent).”

• The Really Big One - Kathryn Schulz on the inevitable, and overdue, earthquake that will wipe out a lot more than California: ”We now know that the odds of the big Cascadia earthquake happening in the next fifty years are roughly one in three. The odds of the very big one are roughly one in ten. Even those numbers do not fully reflect the danger—or, more to the point, how unprepared the Pacific Northwest is to face it. The truly worrisome figures in this story are these: Thirty years ago, no one knew that the Cascadia subduction zone had ever produced a major earthquake. Forty-five years ago, no one even knew it existed.”

• True confessions: I wrote for an Internet content mill - Chris Stokel-Walker reveals the tricks of the content-stuffing trade: ”Between September 19, 2011 and February 24, 2012, I wrote 533 "articles" for an online content mill… Why, in a world where everyone is keen to broadcast their opinions on many topics at various lengths for free, do we still rely on poorly written and paid filler text?”

• Awful Reviews - Imagine a world in which movie posters featured one-star Amazon reviews:

Happy invoicing!

Sucks even if you are Drunk,on Drugs and Getting Blown
    spot on
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Thanks, Nick, some good reads in there. The earthquake one is very sobering!

Comment

Looks like a good set of links this week, thanks
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
        X