• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cheap laptop recommendation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap laptop recommendation

Hi all

Looking for a cheap knockabout laptop for basic surfing, Word/Excel, movies and of course for the kids to smash up.

Saw this at £169 and it looks OK, with the 15" screen too which is something I'm keen on (i.e. no smaller):-

Buy HP 255 G3, 15.6" Laptop, AMD A4, 4GB RAM, 500GB - Black from our All Laptops range - Tesco

What do you think? Or can you recommend any other better spec or make at around this price?

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    Hi all

Looking for a cheap knockabout laptop for basic surfing, Word/Excel, movies and of course for the kids to smash up.

Saw this at £169 and it looks OK, with the 15" screen too which is something I'm keen on (i.e. no smaller):-

Buy HP 255 G3, 15.6" Laptop, AMD A4, 4GB RAM, 500GB - Black from our All Laptops range - Tesco

What do you think? Or can you recommend any other better spec or make at around this price?
    Have you thought about a tablet? For those tasks why bother with a laptop, yes you will struggle for the screen sive but there are plenty of devices out there to output to HDMI
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I have tablets already but want something that the kids can use for homework as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
        I have tablets already but want something that the kids can use for homework as well.
        That will be a cheap low resolution screen.... If you are happy with that fine but its a really low powered computer...
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Company will be buying it so it will be around 20% off anyway or completely free depending on how much you know about your company accounts... Spend a bit more and get a better one
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Company will be buying it so it will be around 20% off anyway or completely free depending on how much you know about your company accounts... Spend a bit more and get a better one
            Good point well presented, I am planning on chaning my 2011 MBP for a 2015 MacBook, the old one will be used by the kids incase anything goes wrong with the new one and I need the spare back
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              Good point well presented, I am planning on chaning my 2011 MBP for a 2015 MacBook, the old one will be used by the kids incase anything goes wrong with the new one and I need the spare back
              Create a rental agreement with the kids and when they can't pay you can write it off as a commercial debt. That would help the company coffers wouldn't it?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Create a rental agreement with the kids and when they can't pay you can write it off as a commercial debt. That would help the company coffers wouldn't it?
                I'd be very concerned if MyCo wasn't able to take a hit of £169

Still, the question remains: at £169 does this look like a reasonable laptop for basic tasks.

Comment

Working...
                X