• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Our international broadcaster

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our international broadcaster

Overseas viewers cash in on BBC shows on the iPlayer | Daily Mail Online

Overseas viewers cash in on BBC shows on the iPlayer: Around 112million people from outside Britain tuned in last year despite making no contribution to the corporation
    Almost twice as many people watch iPlayer outside the UK as inside it
    But those watchign abroad do not pay for the service through TV licence
    Around 112million people use the website every month around the world
    Figure is nearly twice the 64.5 million population of Britain, where majority of households are obliged to buy a television licence for £145.50 a year
    is anyone surprised?

roll on iPlayer licence.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    I'm not too sure about that, it can only be people going through a VPN or one of those 'change your IP address to an UK one' because I can't get it, in fact anyone who doesn't have an UK IP address will get:

BBC iPlayer TV programmes are available to play in the UK only.
    Is this the Daily Xenophobic making things up again or distoring the facts?
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      I'm not too sure about that, it can only be people going through a VPN or one of those 'change your IP address to an UK one' because I can't get it, in fact anyone who doesn't have an UK IP address will get:

Is this the Daily Xenophobic making things up again or distoring the facts?
      UK Proxies to get on iplayer are widely available and companies that offer them don't make any effort to hide what they are used for.

They should do what sky do, you get 2 logins if you have a licence any more cost.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        UK Proxies to get on iplayer are widely available and companies that offer them don't make any effort to hide what they are used for.

They should do what sky do, you get 2 logins if you have a licence any more cost.
        Indeed. Though I would set it at 5 logins.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          is anyone surprised?
          That people use a VPN to access content that's not generally available to that country - no.

Same way that people access hulu et al to view things that they want to see.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I'd have thought all the people with satellite dishes are more of a problem.

If you live abroad, can you pay for a TV licence even if you want to? I don't think you can.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              I'd have thought all the people with satellite dishes are more of a problem.

If you live abroad, can you pay for a TV licence even if you want to? I don't think you can.
              Yeah pretty much everyone where we are in Spain has a great big dish to pick up the freesat channels, including the BBC, of course I justify it by saying I have a TV Licence for the house in the UK, but I have also in the past torrented TV shows from the US so I am not sure I am a good moral compass.
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

It's the BBC's own fault. They pushed Freeview and Freesat as free unencrypted services because they knew that way it'd be far harder for anyone to force them to become a subscription service in the future. As a result you get people all over Europe watching the BBC for free on satellite, and because iPlayer doesn't require any kind of logon either anyone directly or indirectly with a UK IP Address can watch that too.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  It's the BBC's own fault. They pushed Freeview and Freesat as free unencrypted services because they knew that way it'd be far harder for anyone to force them to become a subscription service in the future. As a result you get people all over Europe watching the BBC for free on satellite, and because iPlayer doesn't require any kind of logon either anyone directly or indirectly with a UK IP Address can watch that too.
                  Indeed however I suspect within a few years they will be forced to encrypt it.

Comment

I have a Swiss friend living in Scotland who watches Swiss TV. He has to pay his Swiss licence, and indeed he has to be Swiss; the logical reasoning is that a Swiss abroad is still part of the Swiss nation.

By contrast a Brit abroad who obeys the rules can find that he can vote in British elections but not watch the TV news.

Comment

Working...
                    X