• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice

Went for an interview yesterday for a permie job at a large high street bank working in the data center. Today they offered me the job. On the application form I said that I didn't have any CCJ's or adverse credit history as I thought I was clean as a whistle. Anyway to cut a long strory short my Mrs thinks I got a CCJ about 3 years ago, I also bounced a couple of CC payments this year. The interviewer said that HR would do a credit check.

Questions: If I have a CCJ or adverse credit, will this really affect my offer of employment? what does it matter if I once paid the milkman two weeks late?

You are a criminal and what's worse, a permie.

HTH
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Bank's don't like to employ people with credit problems or people who lie on thier CV (intentioanlly or not, i'm not saying you lied purposfully).

You should have a reasonable idea if you have had a CCJ or not, did you ever have to go to court? Did you get any official court documents sent out to you?

I wouldn't worry about a couple of missed payments on your credit card, everybody forgets now and again as long as you have not continually been in arrears you should be fine.

Might be worthwhile going here and getting your credit records so that you can check them yourself (http://www.checkmyfile.com/). It's worth keeping an eye on your credit record anyway, it will let you know if somebody starts trying to steal your identity to buy things fraudulently

Comment

Hate to say it but the CCJ 'might' be a problem if you actually have one, a few late CC wont be. I work in banking and Credit Checked for all roles, its not fair in my opionion for them to do it but I suppose its some FSA rule.

I frequently see contractors we make offers to have the offer withdrawn due to failing the check.

Comment

The reason that they don't want somebody in financial difficulties working for them is that it would very very easy for said person to enter an incorrect bit of data to help themselves out of financial difficulties.

Banks don't like people stealing from them and they don't want to tempt people who are in severe financial difficulties and may be tempted to do something they wouldn't normally do due to desperation.

Comment

True

Comment

Originally posted by Ivor1
              True I suppose on the retail banking side, not so much the investment banking side.
              Not so.

In investment banking you could easily get quite a lot of personal details about high net worth customers and use that information fraudelently. You could still have access to data that could be modified so that assets suddenly belonged freind of yours, rather than that high net worth customer they were supposed to belong to.

You could say it is even more worrying in investment banking. The high net worth customers will probably not instantly notice that something has gone wrong and your bank had a very bad PR day when said customer finds out.

People with significant financial problems will be lucky to get a job in any area (apart from cleaner )

***Bleh you changed your post

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
                Not so.

In investment banking you could easily get quite a lot of personal details about high net worth customers and use that information fraudelently. You could still have access to data that could be modified so that assets suddenly belonged freind of yours, rather than that high net worth customer they were supposed to belong to.

You could say it is even more worrying in investment banking. The high net worth customers will probably not instantly notice that something has gone wrong and your bank had a very bad PR day when said customer finds out.

People with significant financial problems will be lucky to get a job in any area (apart from cleaner )

Mmmm you are giving me ideas now Point is though it wrong to assume IMOP that someone with 'past' financial issues is more likely to do something naughty. My misses was Credit checked for her role in a bank as a PA, I think the checking is only really appropriate if you are going for a role where you could do damage, ie updates

One bank I worked at a Dutch bank infact not only credit checked me, but drug tested me, issue I had with that was they didnt drug test their dutch staff.
                Last edited by Ivor1; 29 September 2006, 17:06.

Comment

A friend of mine once got a CCJ without knowing about it. He was involved in a car accident which wasn't his fault. The other driver's insurance company tried to get the £100 excess back but they got the address a bit wrong (ie. instead of going to say, Something Court in Something Road, it got sent to the equivalent house in Something Road).

The resident that received the bill, the reminders, the legal warnings and finally the court summons simply binned them ! My friend obviously didn't appear in court on the day and without his knowledge was given a CCJ. He only found out about all this when he tried to get a car loan. After lots of enquiries, several months of hassle and another £100 he eventually got it removed by the court.

So it is possible.
                  It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Originally posted by Ivor1

Mmmm you are giving me ideas now Point is though it wrong to assume IMOP that someone with 'past' financial issues is more likely to do something naughty.

That may be so, but sincce when has fairness come into banking ??? unfortunalty banks tend to think worst case scenario so anybody working for them could potentially do a lot of bad things hence the credit checks and everything else.

Originally posted by oraclesmith
                    A friend of mine once got a CCJ without knowing about it. He was involved in a car accident which wasn't his fault. The other driver's insurance company tried to get the £100 excess back but they got the address a bit wrong (ie. instead of going to say, Something Court in Something Road, it got sent to the equivalent house in Something Road)
                    I agree possible, but not usually likely. But then there is a good reason to regulary check your credit history

Comment

Working...
                    X