• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Charge Day Rate but hour many hours per day ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charge Day Rate but hour many hours per day ?

Hello,

I was chatting to a friend regarding how many hours a standard 'day' was.

He is getting a day rate and in his contract doesn't specify the hours per day or week.

Could you guys tell me the hours in a standard day please.

Thanks

Half a day up to 4hrs.

Full day up to 8hrs.

HTH
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

How many his evil permie overlord says, anything up to 24h is perfectly acceptable

Comment

EU Human Rights Act says "working day" is based on French standard, so after coffee, fag and lunch break, it's 2 hours max.

Comment

Thanks PG.

Is that 8 hours billable ? so 40 hours per week billable ?

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
          Half a day up to 4hrs.

Full day up to 8hrs.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by eddie1507 View Post
            Thanks PG.

Is that 8 hours billable ? so 40 hours per week billable ?
            Up to 40 hours would be billable yes. Just bill 5 days up to 40 hours. If it was 36 hours, still bill 5 days. Simples.

The key things are:

1. Set your own terms - so you don't pull 12hr days

2. If you work 6 hrs - that's a day. Just get the work done and don't take the piss. Be fair, and the client should be fair.

Comment

8 hour day is standard. Usually as a contractor you can work 8 hours a day as you almost certainly won't be involved in production issues, at least not in your initial contract.

Just try and keep fixed hours, and if you need a couple of hours off then agree with the PM.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

If there was such thing as a standard day I don't think we'd be discussing this lol. I'd say 8 hours is typical but it does vary so doesn't do any harm to clarify with the client rather than assuming. Some of them can be very fussy and some don't give a damn as long as you get the job done.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  Just try and keep fixed hours, and if you need a couple of hours off then agree with the PM.
                  Restroom break boss?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    If there was such thing as a standard day I don't think we'd be discussing this lol. I'd say 8 hours is typical but it does vary so doesn't do any harm to clarify with the client rather than assuming. Some of them can be very fussy and some don't give a damn as long as you get the job done.
                    Exactly! If you have to ask, there is no answer.

One counter-answer is that all too often, if the project is in such mire that the permies are doing 11-hour days and they still have to get in a contractor to help them out, they may not be happy if the contractor doesn't do the same. It's your call what you do about that but "just do 8-hour days and keep the client happy" may not be an available option.

Comment

Working...
                    X