• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Sheriff's Lair vol. CCXCI

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Sheriff's Lair vol. CCXCI

It's got to the point where I regard meetings as a "nice change". I miss the bench
    • Comic Conman - "Whoever was after the Sub-Mariners and All Star Comics at the Heritage Auction wasn’t a collector. Their bids were too erratic, they didn’t know the market, and chances were, they weren’t terribly smart… Through months of interviews and hundreds of pages of public documents, The Verge reconstructed what they were seeing: a multi-million-dollar embezzlement scheme that would ensnare a crooked lawyer, a multinational corporation, and some of the most sought-out comics in the world."

• Receiving Weather Satellite Images With An £8 Dongle - Matt Gray explains how to grab images directly from NOAA satellites as they pass overhead: ”The satellites transmit pictures via FM radio at 137MHz. Using a DAB/FM/Freeview dongle, you can receive this signal on a computer running software-defined radio (SDR) software, and then decode it into a picture.”

• Australia Once Lost a War With the Mighty Emu - "It was 1932, and Australia was about to go to war against the emu. The war would be far more difficult than anyone anticipated." Turns out even machine guns aren’t much use in dealing with huge flocks of large, flightless birds.

• The Berenstein Bears: We Are Living in Our Own Parallel Universe - "When I was growing up, all through elementary school we would watch movies and read books about the Berenstein Bears… And then I saw the book covers. The ones in the squiggly bubble letters from the childhood. The ones I saw a hundred times a month from the formative ages of 5 to 9. The ones that every 20-something in the world will tell you read "Berenstein Bears". Except they don't read "Berenstein". They read "Berenstain".” All of which leads, naturally, to the conclusion that at some point in the last twenty years, our universe has somehow crossed-over with an alternative universe, in which the name is spelled differently

• Large Objects Shot as Miniatures Using a Giant Coin and Tilt-Shift Effects - HT to Alias for this one: ”Norwegian design studio Skrekkøgle — the one that printed a photo with a cremated dog — has a creative project called “Big Money” in which they made a giant 20:1 replica of a 50 cent Euro coin. They then placed the coin next to large objects and photographed them together, making the objects look like tiny toy replicas.”

• The Secret Agents Who Stake Out the Ugliest Corners of the Internet - "A team tasked with protecting the president of the United States is constantly sifting through hateful online comments to find would-be assassins or terrorists." Josephine Wolff on the Secret Service Internet Threat Desk.

• Searching For A Smile - "What happens if you search the web for the Unicode character "☺"?" Terence Eden finds that the major search engines are sadly lacking when it comes to searching for smilies

• Up in the Air: Meet the Man Who Flies Around the World for Free - Profile of Ben Schlappig, who has perfected the exploitation of frequent flyer programmes and now never does anything but fly to places for the sake of it: ”On this trip, his fans will witness Schlappig's latest mission: a weekend jaunt that will slingshoot him across East Asia — Hong Kong, Jakarta, Tokyo — and back to New York, in 69 hours. He'll rarely leave the airports, and when he does he'll rest his head only in luxury hotels.”

• The Picolax Thread Returns - HT to TheCoconutDog via mudskipper for this amazing thread in which singletrackworld forum member blu-tone recounts his experience with the powerful laxative Picolax and an endoscope: ”Not too unpleasant, tasted a bit “lemony”, to be fair if most energy drinks tasted like this they’d be more popluar. As these foolish thoughts are noodling around in my head a butterfly in the Amazon flaps it’s wings. . . . . A storm of geological cataclysmic ferocity fuelled by an apopleptic “Agent” Picolax is gathering pace, mass and will reveal itself too late upon the unwary. Oh Yes.”

• The Top 8 Swinging Sixties London Films - "In the world of art, music and fashion, London was the centre of all that was hip. It was the destination of anybody who was anybody and even if you weren’t. Britain’s capital became the hippest place on earth and here are the top eight London Swinging films from the sixties.”

Happy invoicing!
    Last edited by NickFitz; 27 July 2015, 11:18. Reason: Credit where it's due :-)

Thank you,. Just as I was wondering what to do for the rest of the day on client's time and was just about to head to the kitchen for some kitchen towel ....

May god bless you

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      • The Picolax Thread Returns - HT to mudskipper for this amazing thread in which singletrackworld forum member blu-tone recounts his experience with the powerful laxative Picolax and an endoscope: ”Not too unpleasant, tasted a bit “lemony”, to be fair if most energy drinks tasted like this they’d be more popluar. As these foolish thoughts are noodling around in my head a butterfly in the Amazon flaps it’s wings. . . . . A storm of geological cataclysmic ferocity fuelled by an apopleptic “Agent” Picolax is gathering pace, mass and will reveal itself too late upon the unwary. Oh Yes.”

HT should actually be to TheCoconutDog who pointed me at it following a childhood worm medicine anecdote

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        HT should actually be to TheCoconutDog who pointed me at it following a childhood worm medicine anecdote
        Fixed

Comment

• Receiving Weather Satellite Images With An £8 Dongle - Matt Gray explains how to grab images directly from NOAA satellites as they pass overhead: ”The satellites transmit pictures via FM radio at 137MHz. Using a DAB/FM/Freeview dongle, you can receive this signal on a computer running software-defined radio (SDR) software, and then decode it into a picture.”
          You used to be able to receive Meteosat images using some common household implements including a dustbin lid but I can't find the details of that but you can get near real time images using the new EUMETView pilot program: EUMETSAT Image Gallery
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

The Top 8 Swinging Sixties London Films - "In the world of art, music and fashion, London was the centre of all that was hip. It was the destination of anybody who was anybody and even if you weren’t. Britain’s capital became the hippest place on earth and here are the top eight London Swinging films from the sixties.”
            Some of those look reet dodgy! First on my list to download is the Michael Winner one

Comment

I wonder if Picolax is the secret ingredient in a Big Mac? Great one that
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Oddly the smiley thing didn't work.
                His blog may have been down - I just tried it and it took quite a while (about twenty seconds) to respond, but it got there in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  One of my favourite films: "Here we go round the Mulberry Bush". Judy Geeson with her kit off long before she appeared on ST Voyager.

And "Morgan: A suitable case for treatment" - to call it odd would be insufficiently hyperbolic.

Mulberry Bush is out on dvd!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Here-Round-M...+mulberry+bush

And that Pleasure Girls thing. (Beware, it's got Klaus Kinski in it).

I'll see if I get lucky in torrentland before I shell out £8.50 to see some bird with her kit off. Anyway I'm skint after that last trip to the lapdancing club

Comment

Lovejoy & Olly in smutty films who would of thunk it?

thanks Nick!
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X