• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is the point of a contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the point of a contract

Tenuous link, but a will is a kind of contract, good enough for a parody thread

Woman rejected by mother in will wins £164k inheritance - BBC News
    Last edited by SimonMac; 28 July 2015, 07:59.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Indeed she seems to have made her feelings and wishes fairly clear. Whilst I am unlikely to agree with them personally that doesn't matter, they were clear & legal.

Arrogant judges have just made wills a lot more complicated.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Very dodgy precedent this. There seems to be a creep towards doing 'what is right and proper' rather than what is required by the law in this country.

The other example that springs to mind is the new govt edict for companies to 'pay the taxes that they have a moral duty to pay'.

FFS if it's not a law, it shouldn't be required and if change is required, then change the law.

All of this nancy 'do what is right' business is impossible to define.

Comment

You'd rather abdicate your morality to the government? You seriously think what you are allowed to do and what you should do are the same thing? Perhaps you believe the laws should be made much, much stricter so that nothing immoral is legal any more, so you don't have to take the trouble to use your conscience?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          Indeed she seems to have made her feelings and wishes fairly clear. Whilst I am unlikely to agree with them personally that doesn't matter, they were clear & legal.

Poor woman must be turning in her grave with a huge chunk of her hard-earned being given to the little ingrate.

The other bit that I found a little disturbing was

She'll now be able to buy her housing association property and won't lose her state benefits
          So the little scrubber and her brood get a £164k windfall due to an imbecilic decision and the taxpayer continues to fund their X-Boxes!!!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            Huh? Wills are not contracts in any sense, and the law has never (at least since the Conquest) been obliged to see they are honoured regardless.

In Saxon law they were, because it was believed a dying person was closest to God and their final utterances therefore most fit to be respected.

But in Norman law and ever since, the prevailing common sense view has been that the dead have no rights, and elderly or dying people are sometimes not mentally fit to make independent rational decisions. So there is a long precedent of setting aside unfair, frivolous, or quixotic wills.

I'm sure there is a section on this in Ranulf de Glanville's Tractatus de Legibus, written around 1188, but I can't find an online copy to check.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Why should you be entitled to somebody else's money just because you're related to them?

Better if the state gets all your money when you die; then the problem goes away.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

On LBC they are spinning it as its fair because the money is buying the daughter a house to avoid her claiming housing benefit.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  and elderly or dying people are sometimes not mentally fit to make independent rational decisions. So there is a long precedent of setting aside unfair, frivolous, or quixotic wills.

She made the will two years before she died and qualified it with a covering letter. Quite a long time to remain unfair, frivolous, and quixotic...

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    Why should you be entitled to somebody else's money just because you're related to them?
                    As a default position it's fine, but in opposition to the deceased's wishes, totally agree.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X