• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NDA - Non Disclosure Agreement with an agent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NDA - Non Disclosure Agreement with an agent

An agent called me today about a new contract, but he asked me to sign a non-disclosure agreement before he can tell me who the client is.

I have been contracting for 5 years, and have dealt with lots of agents but this is the first time an agent asks me to sign an NDA before even telling me who the client is. I have signed NDA with my clients (i think that's fine), but I have never signed NDA with an agent How about you? Is it normal practice? Would you do it?

Unless the role is for a very specific technology or business area, I can see no justification for this for the agency. If the client is requesting it, as I suspect, then the agency can at least tell you why; most likely it's someone moving into a new area they want kept quiet for a while.

Ask the agency why they need it - "the client says so" is not enough - and make your own judgement.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I've signed one before - it was because the work the client wanted was related to an acquisition. NDA had to be in place before agency could even discuss broad outline of what was needed.

Comment

I'd sign it cos there is no downside. You can still walk away if you don't want the role.
        Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

I'd sign it too. Cannot see a downside to signing it.

Comment

Id tell them I'll sign it only with a written response by return that my cv is definitely being submitted to the client, exclusivity will be limited to 3 days and, any failure to submit my cv will invalidate the exclusivity agreement at the very least.

Dont give up your position too easily.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
              I'd sign it too. Cannot see a downside to signing it.
              I can.

The terms may be stupid e.g. when you get the role you can't put it on your CV
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Signed one before as well, no problems in doing it and not that uncommon

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  I can.

That's not a downside to signing the NDA, that's a downside to accepting the role.
                  Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    That would be quite reasonable IMHO, for most circumstances. Fact is I don't list client names or contract dates on my CV anyway.

I would sign if the terms were reasonable. If not then I would offer MyCo's own NDA. Also something along the lines of what BolshieBastard said, I wouldn't want to become forever tied to the agent for an unspecified client.

Comment

Working...
                    X