• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ending contract early

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ending contract early

Hi guys, i have this situation where client has given me 1 month verbal notice (until the end of august) , 1 month prematurely (contract was due to end of september) - nothing personal , i did great job etc but they run out of budget, made a mistake etc bla bla whatever. I do have recommendation from them

Now i have another gig on hand but need to start in a week time. Is it ok in this situation to end this contract even earlier with 1 week contractual notice? Since they run out of cash its ok for me to save them some more and leave early in this case? What would you do in this case - stay anyway until the end or leave early as they did this to you anyway?
    Just to note the other gig is closer, for more money and longer. Talking to them on wednesday about this
    Thanks for advice
    Last edited by diseasex; 3 August 2015, 19:48.

Ask 'em - as they've given you notice, subject to a handover (if required), I expect they'll be happy to let you go sooner rather than later.

B

Comment

Only you know the state of play at your current gig to be able to have an idea what the client would say. Is the earlier leave gonna leave them in the lurch? I'd guess they are trying to plan your time to get something finished so might be relying on you heavily for the next month? If so would the other gig not wait a week and you meet both halfway? I'd not risk the new gig over it but they could be flexible and everyone wins?

If they've invoked notice then it can't come as a great surprise you want to leave early but timing is a bit of a shame as they sound to have been pretty decent over it. If you want the new gig then you are going to have to bite the bullet and just stick the notice in.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
        Hi guys I have similar situation. Ive got a gig and that company is kindly waiting my entire notice because I was best candidate. Now half way through notice I went for another interview and immediately got it - 50 more daily , closer to home and more importantly - better technologies (better paid).
        This would be my first contract
        Now because they are waiting my notice and I already signed the contract I would be total ass to back out now and probably burn the bridge with agent that was fighting with them so they would wait the notice?
        Your thoughts?
        hmmm

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
          hmmm
          Hmm indeed...
          Last edited by northernladuk; 4 August 2015, 07:38.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
            Have you even seen his reply ? I'm done with this retarded forum . Bunch of morons .
            i think you should have created a new account before you looked for more advice

Comment

"Have you even seen his reply ? I'm done with this retarded forum . Bunch of morons ."

Kevin!

Comment

long story short current client said they need me for another 2 weeks and then I can go, I agreed to that and told the new client that either will they wait these 2 weeks or i'm not taking the contract as I need to leave on good terms, delivering etc. I followed NLUK advice on that. In the end they are waiting and were impressed that im a "man of my word" with clients.
                So NLUK thanks!
                As for what I said before, I meant it.
                Last edited by diseasex; 7 August 2015, 08:59.

Comment

In the end they are waiting and were impressed that im a "man of my word" with clients.
                  Did you tell them you became one, with the help of a "retarded forum"?
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                    Did you tell them you became one, with the help of a "retarded forum"?
                    I changed my mind its just full of them.

Comment

Working...
                    X